PRO registration

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Sonora
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

PRO registration

Post by Sonora » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 am

Hi all!

I’m sorry for the absolutely newbie (and lengthy) post below.
I’ve been writing music for libraries since a little more than 1 year (starting only now to experience the first placements) and I experience a recurring problem with my P.R.O. (PRS in the UK), I’m not sure whether I should be worried about it.

The issue is I always have the libraries register my tracks and I never see those under “my works” in my PRS dashboard. They don’t appear doing a research in the PRS database either.
I contacted one by one all my publishers (all in the U.S.) and they all say that my tracks have been registered. I contacted PRS who says to check with the libraries so I’m a little confused.

In one case the library contacted their international publishing administrator who confirmed the registration was completed and they contacted PRS. At that point the tracks appeared on the database but none of the new tracks I wrote for that library after this event did.
In another case, I could see some of my tracks appearing as registered on the BMI database with my name but I still couldn’t see them on the PRS database.
Should I just leave it and trust I’ll get paid eventually? Should I be worried? What do you guys suggest doing?
Alessandro Mastroianni
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bsharplabs[/url]

ChrisRaggatt

Re: PRO registration

Post by ChrisRaggatt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 am

Hi Sonora

I don’t know if this is helpful or not, but I’m also in the UK, and it sounds as if we are at similar points in our Taxi journey.

I was speaking to PRS the other day and they said that if a track got placed overseas then it would just be listed as a play in Germany or USA or wherever it was played and all plays would be lumped together by country, rather than having an itemised breakdown.

I have to declare tho I’m not an expert and am just going off what I was told. I don’t know about tracks not showing up in databases, I would probably think if they have logged you as the writer along with your PRS details then you should be ok, but again-I’m not 100% on this either.

I hope this was of some help buy don’t take any of this as gospel!

All the best,
Chris :)

Sonora
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Sonora » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:55 am

Thanks Chris!
Alessandro Mastroianni
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bsharplabs[/url]

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 am

Hi Sonara

Very similar situation here too.

We have about 100 tracks in various Libraries ( U.S based ) now over the past 2 years. All of these are co-writes with my best mate but neither of us have seen them appear in the " My Works " section when we log into PRS.

Last quarter one of them suddenly appeared and my friend received a tiny amount ( it was less than £1 ) for a cue airing in an MTV reality show when it played in Sweden. Now that's an American show so the hope is the main part of that payment will show up in the next quarters statement..and it will be more than £1 !

The reason I didn't get the payment is because it was too low for them to bother with whereas my friend had a couple of other things of his own and netted £12 in total so it was lumped together in a year end payment. Usually you have to generate more than £30 per quarter for them to pay out from PRS.

We sent some cues to a library in the UK a couple of weeks ago and they appeared in " My Works " within about 48hrs. So my thoughts are that if the library isn't in the UK it only show up in our PRS " My Works " once someone files a cue sheet for a placement and then there's a long lag for it to filter through.

I hope that helps but it appears to be the same for us too.

Mark

PS - 15th April is the next PRS payment date so could be worth us reporting back to this thread if anything shows up