Problem with noise in music video

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JannieM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Problem with noise in music video

Post by JannieM » Mon May 11, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi There,
Could anyone give a guess why there would be a loud hummmmmmmmm sound when doing a video?
SPECS: The video was done in a church for one of their online church services - which included music. Music was not done separately so the humming noise was throughout the video.
Person helping with sound board and video is a volunteer - not a pro.
If you think you might be able to identify the problem with more info, please send me a PM and I will send you a link to the YouTube video.
Thanks in advance,
Jan
Use your voice for kindness, your ears for compassion, your hands for charity, your mind for truth, and your heart for love. ~ ~ ~ ~ Author Unknown

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Problem with noise in music video

Post by AlanHall » Mon May 11, 2020 12:29 pm

How was the audio for video collected? If from the mixing board to a camera (or other recording device) via patch cables such as RCA or 1/4", I'd suspect ground loops first. Often a culprit when connecting gear together that hasn't been vetted. Isolation transformers are often used in field recordings to eliminate ground loops.

edit: So the "more info" needed would be how was everything connected.
another possibility is EMI from the lighting banks. Is there audible hum at the mix position when the room lighting is dimmed?