Producing :30 & :60 second spots

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

windowman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Producing :30 & :60 second spots

Post by windowman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:44 am

Apr 28, 2008, 3:46am, clanmorgan wrote:This is a lesson I learned from returned submissions: WRITE SPECIFICALLY FOR :30 and :60 secs. Longer versions that are knocked down to the time restriction often lack the 'perfection' that these listings call for. I have found that writing specifically for this lengths forces you to think differently and thus your final result is better suited for what they are looking for. I have found its easier to write for :60 then drop down to :30 or lengthen up to 2:00 or more. And I find that writing for :60 forces you to compose differently making sure you get in all of your 'song' elements and expression of your main theme. A lesson that I too have learned the hard way. I disagree to some extent. I think that you can achieve the 30-60 second goal by trying to listen to the song from an objective perspective & then choosing the hookiest parts & re-assembling them. FORGET that you wrote the song and think about all the new stuff you can buy with the money thereafter. It may take a lot of attempts, but you can get there. If you happen to be a few seconds short, just insert the sounds of neighborhood cats f**king. It'll make up the time & everyone loves the sounds of cats f**king. Just remember to use your own samples. Otherwise you can get into big trouble in Little China, Grasshopper.Felix

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Producing :30 & :60 second spots

Post by matto » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:31 pm

Apr 28, 2008, 3:46am, clanmorgan wrote:A lesson I learned from returned submissions is that I seem to benefit from writing uniquely for :30 and :60 secs. For me the longer versions that are knocked down to the time restriction often lack the 'perfection' that these listings call for. I have found that writing specifically for this lengths forces me to think differently and thus my final result is better suited for what they are looking for. I have found its easier to write for :60 then drop down to :30 or lengthen up to 2:00 or more. And I find that writing for :60 forces me to compose differently making sure I get in all of your 'song' elements and expression of your main theme. A lesson that I too have learned the hard way. I would agree with this as a general rule. To which there are exceptions of course.