We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mattbee
Active
Active

Production Feedback (Tension Cue)

Post by mattbee » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:56 pm

Hi all,
I'd love some thoughts on the feedback I received on listing S220531DN - particularly regarding the samples. I used Audio Imperia's Nucleus for most orchestral in here + some BBCSO, but assume I must be using it in a way which doesn't convey realism, as the library seems to have a great reputation with composers?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kswf41b6rdkzq ... e.mp3?dl=0
I think you could improve this song by
The strings could be featured more prominently here. Some of the orchestral samples sound dated, especially the string stabs and the flute line. There's some empty space in between hits - would love to hear a constant melodic ostinato, for example the cellos in 16th notes. This would help to build tension over the course of the piece.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The strings are not the star of this cue, the orchestral samples need more realism, and the energy does not drive enough.

Would love feedback on those points or anything else that anyone could offer, as it was my first time writing in this genre so I'm open to being told anything (including "do something else" haha).

Many thanks,
Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Production Feedback (Tension Cue)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:05 am

Hey Matt

Posting a copy of the Listing so we can hear the refernece tracks always helps in these situation. I don't think there will be any problem with those samples , as you say they are well regarded libraries although I don't own either of them myself I do have the free basic BBC SO they offer and it sounds good.

I think what the issue will be is you've not written and produced the track in a way that shows them in their best light. For me the track never really gets going , it feels quite disjointed/disconnected. Like the screener says a more constant ostinato pattern will help there.

Everything sounds a bit twee and it lacks tension, some of it is to do with which register you use for each section - everything feels quite high so it comes across light. I don't think you've done much layering either so everything sounds a little thin.

The drums aren't really cutting it either, the pattern sounds too sparse, the hits need more layers as ther eis no weight to it. You need a solid rhythmic foundation to build the track on.

As I said it's hard to give more advice without knowing what the references were but I've done some of these orchestral type tension tracks and had them signed/placed as well as other type of tension cues.

Here is one a made a few years back that went into a library via Taxi and got used on TV . The references were the Sicario movie soundtrack

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/bl ... al_sharing

And here is a clip of it in use

https://youtu.be/T3OJ7BwRUs0

Hope that helps

Mark

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:28 pm

Mark did a good job with his feedback. I'd echo everything he says.

But, one more thing... what's the title of this piece? Please don't tell me the title is "Tension Cue".

~~Matt

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:54 pm

Hi Mark and Matt,
Thanks so much for the feedback and for sharing the track Mark - I definitely feel the tension on your work!
When it comes to layering, would you suggest layering in the sense of strict doubling with the same instruments, or different instruments on the same notes? Or more broadly layering, different instruments, same notes but different registers etc to really fill out the sound?
This was the listing: (and I titled the cue 'Hero's Countdown' - the file name was just the working title from the session.)

Many thanks again :)

Matt

DRAMATIC, ELECTRONIC TENSION INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES with STRINGS are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

This Library is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could be found on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them:

"The Hottest Shot" by Bleeding Fingers

The Shahs of Sunset (From 0:08 – 0:22)

"Welcome to the Lion's Den" by Bleeding Fingers

Please submit well-produced Electronic Tension Instrumentals (or Cues) that feature Strings as a prominent element in the arrangement. Commanding motifs, solid arrangements, driving rhythms, and plenty of tension-filled, dramatic energy are all must-haves for this pitch. Your submissions should have cutting-edge Electronic instrumentation blended with Orchestral Strings, and be generally competitive with the references. Craft your pieces around a central motif and create a sense of forward dynamics and movement by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure you production and any virtual sounds or samples you use are high-quality and not-dated. If you choose to use any virtual Orchestral instruments, please be sure they are top-notch and sound like the real deal.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, May 31st, 2022. TAXI # S220531DN

TAXI # S220531DN

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:18 pm

Also, as a cue, it should be much closer to the requested 90 seconds - ideally within 5 seconds of that, and definitely between 80 - 100 seconds. (And if it was an instrumental, it would be better to make it longer than two minutes.)

===
Michael

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:56 pm

mattbee wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:54 pm

When it comes to layering, would you suggest layering in the sense of strict doubling with the same instruments, or different instruments on the same notes? Or more broadly layering, different instruments, same notes but different registers etc to really fill out the sound
All of the above really. Depending on what part it is.

I notice the first ref track has a much more urgent ostinato but it also sounds thicker and fuller in texture so it's probably octave doubled which is common in orchestral arrangements. I wouldn't worry too much about realism , so don't sweat it if you wind up with more violins than could actually be in a real orchestra for example.

You probably want to look into pedal tones as well, I hear that going on in the reference too but it can also add some weight and thickness.

Mark

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:01 am

That's awesome advice, thanks so much - really gives me a few more things to listen out for in the references!

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:31 am

Hi all,
Even though the listing is long gone, I thought I'd see if I could brush this up a little based on everyone's feedback to see if it might be up to scratch for something I could pitch to libraries directly in the future? I was super grateful for all of the advice above, so thought it'd be the least I could do to acknowledge everyone taking the time to listen/provide advice.
https://s.disco.ac/aggggbxqiqql
Would love your thoughts - I've added a 16th based cello part as well as a 16th based wide electric guitar part to try and glue the track together and add some momentum/weight/grit, as well as doubled the flutes & trombones with patches from different libraries. Would love any thoughts on if this is 'industry ready' (to no brief in particular) or if it's still a bit of a facepalm for this genre...

Kind regards and many thanks again,
Matt

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:43 am

Hi Matt, I like the low brass but the high strings and woodwinds are more in the fantasy realm rather than grunting heroes territory, more ballet dancers struggling with blisters than soldiers in battle or firefighters in danger :). As an experiment you could try something simple like shifting some of those instruments down an octave, but might have to do some tweaking for it to work and beef up the sound convincingly. You have a good title so try and make the music create and support the image and mood that conveys (or the brief conveys). Just my thoughts though, so see what others say.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:11 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:43 am
Hi Matt, I like the low brass but the high strings and woodwinds are more in the fantasy realm rather than grunting heroes territory, more ballet dancers struggling with blisters than soldiers in battle or firefighters in danger :). As an experiment you could try something simple like shifting some of those instruments down an octave, but might have to do some tweaking for it to work and beef up the sound convincingly. You have a good title so try and make the music create and support the image and mood that conveys (or the brief conveys). Just my thoughts though, so see what others say.
Haha I LOVE that analogy! Thanks so much :)