Production Help

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

project

Production Help

Post by project » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:25 am

Howdy everyone. Been awile sense I have chatted on here so I hope everyone is doing well. I started to get back in the swing of creating some music. Was down on myself because of the reviews I was getting. I am trying to get past that now and take it all as a big learning session. One thing that the reviews was saying is I need to work on my Production. I created a song and would like some advice on what you think I can do to improve on the production side. I am the only person doing all this so it takes me some time to come up with a song, lay down some tracks, Mix, Bounce and Master them alone.... The song I would like for you all to listen to is called (Walking Slow). http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... 8650Please be honest. Thanks so much

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Production Help

Post by geo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Hey Dude, nice track, I'm assuming you are submitting for TV, etc. The production sounds clean and I like the guitar sound, my only negative is maybe your backing tracks could be a little higher in the mix, it's hard to hear what's going on back there. You might want to do two mixes and have people choose between. Don't get discouraged, man, eventually they will recognise... Geo

project

Post by project » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks Geo I will work on getting the back sounds up a bit and from now on I will put a couple of tracks on for you to listen to.Again, Thanks so much, it is really hard when you have no one to bounce you music to for help.God Bless

project

Post by project » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 am

Howdy all Well Geo, I toke your advice and remastered the song walking slow and tried to bring out some of the background. If you or anyone else has time to give a listen please, I could use some feedback on the change.http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... 8650Thanks and God BlessTim

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:15 am

Hey Tim, sounds better, maybe a little bottom end EQ on drums/bass (old bass player so bias here ) but to my ears the quality of production is good... Geo

rcase
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rcase » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 am

Hey Tim!Nice and clean, very present mix on this one. Obviously your lead guitar is the featured instrument here. Are you going for a kind of live ensemble feel? If so, I was wondering if you'd considered A-B-ing your current drum sound with something a little more organic sounding? Just an idea; I thought a different drum kit might match the rest of your instrumentation well. Also, are you using any kind of effects on the lead guitar? I've a lot to learn in that area..well, actually.. make that ALL areas ..but I thought a bit of 'wash' over those soloing lines might be lovely.
"Financial success as a songwriter requires 3 things: One, craft. Two, volume. Three, time." - Vikki Flawith

project

Post by project » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:14 am

Also, are you using any kind of effects on the lead guitar? Well' Rcase The effects I used on this song was from the COSM effects that comes with the Boss BR1200 Digital recording system. Then I move the files from each track over to my computer to do the mixing and mastering. Alot of times though I will just record straight in from my amp them I use a digitech RP200 to do the effects. I always looking for some kind of sound that fits but doing this alone is hard sometimes because I have no one to bounce what I have done.Except my wife and she thinks everything I do far as music is good. She is a sweetheart. That's why I like to let this board hear it ...I can get some good advice here.Hope that helps.God Bless Tim

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Sounds like my wife, now that I'm approaching critiques from a different POV I find myself defending the screeners POV with her ... Geo