Production Music Final Mix Organization Hierarchical Protocols

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KenParks

Production Music Final Mix Organization Hierarchical Protocols

Post by KenParks » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm

Hey Guys! You would think after nearly 40 years of recording projects for Labels, TV Themes and Indie Artists that I would have this one topic figured out but when it comes to Production Music Library I'm having a hard time trying to establish organization protocols for the storage of completed mixes. I have started using the Composer Catalog software and I realized that when you connect music files to it, the software wants to see or browse the hard drive the music files (or final mixes) that will be associated with the listing in the Composer Catalog. Perhaps my mind is just overthinking it but I'm trying to come up with a organization protocol to follow which properly organize each instrumental cue and all of it's derivatives or each song with it's final mix with vocal, mix minus, male vocal or female vocal in some proper hierarchical file/folder structure. Perhaps something like: [Parent Folder Name] Instrumental Cues > Trailers > [Cue Family] Intense Action Orch > [Cue] Surpise 1.wav, Surpise 1 Drms.wav, Surprise 1 StrngsOnly.wav, Surprise 1 Horns.wav, Surprise 1 Stinger.wav, Surprise 1 no melody.wav . Any ideas???

KenParks

Re: Production Music Final Mix Organization Hierarchical Protocols

Post by KenParks » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:06 pm

So I believe I figured out a solution. I have set up a separate older computer for storing all the final mixes in their various forms. Since this computer has PCI slots in it, I install my older RME Hammerfall 9652 PCI card so I could review each track prior to uploading to Taxi or DIsco or a future Production Music Library. Using Kevin Lebrant's Composer Catalog I can keep track of the mixes in all their various forms. After reviewing Steve Barden's book "Writing Production Music for TV" I got a glimpse of how to organize the audio files. Divided up all the compositions into songs (with vocals) and then Instrumental Tracks. Under the songs folder I placed all the finished song productions in their own folders and then labeled each audio file associated with this main song giving it the file names of SONGTITLE_FULL.wav, SONGTITLE_Instrumental.wav, SONGTITLE_VoxPiano.wav, SONGTITLE_NoDrums.wav, etc. I did the same with the instrumental folder although I broke down the instrumental folder into multiple different folders for each genre i.e. Trailers, Orchestral, Piano, Jazz, StompClap, etc and then had sub folders for each production. This seems to be working for my brain's organization. Perhaps by sharing this, it helps someone else struggling with File Organization. In label productions or even TV Theme music production packages, everything was stored on one SSD for each project. Production Music is more detailed and has to be more organized. Perhaps some of you have figured out other ways? I'd love to hear! Happy Composing! Cheers!