Proper name for media composition studios?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Proper name for media composition studios?

Post by zircon » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:32 am

Part of my degree here at Drexel involves finding co-op (paid/unpaid) summer work at a company in our field of study. I personally would be really interested in working with pro film, TV, or video game composers, but I'm not really sure where to begin my search. What is the proper name for a group of people that are in the business of writing music for the media? Would that be called a "music house"? Something like that? I need something to feed Google with

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Proper name for media composition studios?

Post by gitarrero » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:04 pm

hi zirc,..hmmm.... why not simply check who did all the music for some video games? I think you'll find some names there.also I think you can find such studios via google by typing something like "music for tv, composer, studio" or similar - or am I wrong?
production, composition & stringed instruments

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:28 pm

I know the individual names of studios - for example, Remote Control Productions being Hans Zimmers' group. However, I can't find the general classification for this kind of business.I have been using more general terms in my search but there are way too many results. I need to try to narrow it down to specific business listings.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:08 pm

Zirc-If you're looking for game composers, I subscribe to a mailing list called the "VGM List" that just about every composer in the industry is on. You have to be established in the field to be added to the list, but if you'd like me to post something about your availability I'd be happy to.Another very popular game audio group is gameaudiopro on Yahoo groups; you can subscribe to the group or just view and post to it from the web.Yet another option is the Game Audio Network Guild (G.A.N.G. - www.audiogang.org), but you'll have to pay to become a member for access to its boards.HTH,André
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.