ProTools interface advice needed

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

ProTools interface advice needed

Post by nomiyah » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:53 am

I'm using a 16 track workstation that sounds good but doesn't have enough features to do a radio ready mix. I've been taking my preproduction tracks to an outside studio for the mix.I've already worked with ProTools, Cubase, Cakewalk, etc. and would like to get ProTools.The only reason I haven't already is because I have a permanant RSI (wrist injury). I have to limit mouse and computer keyboard activities. That's why I've been using a workstation because faders, knobs and piano keys don't trouble the injury. You know how we producers spend long hours with our equipment.My thought was that I need to get a computer interface shaped like a mixing board. Has anyone worked with Digidesign products such as Pro Control, Control 24, Command 8 or D-Command?If you have any experience working with an integrated ProTools control system, I'd really love to hear your opinions about the products.Love,Nomi

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Re: ProTools interface advice needed

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:08 pm

I've worked with a Mackie HUI (which is now somewhat obsolete) and a Digidesign 002r, which is extremely well designed. It doesn't totally replace the keyboard, though, which if you don't have RSI is sensible. The HUI attempts to replace everything.if you're on a budget, this is a new one that runs Pro Tools M-Powered: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/P ... -main.html

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:39 pm

Nick,I checked out the m audio product. It looks good. Have you or anyone you know (or anyone reading) used one? It's small but I assume the 8 tracks on the mixer can be switched to operate 24 or more tracks.I would need to get a different version of Pro Tools, I don't have M powered. But that doesn't matter if it's functionally the same as other Pro Tools.It works with Mac or PC so I wouldn't have to buy a Mac. But I wonder if I used a PC, would my projects be compatible with a Mac ProTools studio?Thanks for the tip.Nomi

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:59 am

I haven't used it, but you can scroll in banks of eight or on fader at a time with all these controllers. Its audio interface would require Pro Tools M-Powered, not PT LE.At one point there were some compatibility problems between PC and Mac PT - not sure whether they've been sorted out.