Protools..Part 2 (simple question)

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Protools..Part 2 (simple question)

Post by davewalton » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:05 pm

Usually you have options in terms of what kind of file you want to export to. In Sonar, my options include WAV, MP3, and WMA (Windows Media). You should have options similar to those. Exporting directly to an MP3 will save you one step.Your export should only be to a single file. It sounds like you are exporting to seperate stereo files (left and right). You want to export all files and/or tracks to a single mix. I Googled "pro tools le tutorial" and found this:http://myweb.lmu.edu/rpardee/PT/START/t ... tents.htmI don't know if it's included as part of your package or if this is a tutorial developed by the university, but about half-way down the page there is a link that says "Bouncing Tracks (Mixing Sounds Into a Single Audiofile)". This looks like this is the info you need, since I'm not able to help you with Pro Tools specific advice.

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:49 am

Ahhh this is fantastic..Much easier to understand than the info I was given.Look at what it says here.."Multiple Mono" means the split stereo approach that Pro Tools favors. If you want to burn the bounce to an audio CD, select "Stereo Interleaved." [There's also a "Summed Mono" option, which will combine your stereo mix into a single mono track. Note that this might result in a higher combined level and produce clipping."From reading the above I get the impression Protools will split it in two ..an L and an R like what I was getting.Or should I click on SUMMED MONO instead of Multiple Mono?Thanks Dave!!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:05 am

Quote:Ahhh this is fantastic..Much easier to understand than the info I was given.Look at what it says here.."Multiple Mono" means the split stereo approach that Pro Tools favors. If you want to burn the bounce to an audio CD, select "Stereo Interleaved." [There's also a "Summed Mono" option, which will combine your stereo mix into a single mono track. Note that this might result in a higher combined level and produce clipping."From reading the above I get the impression Protools will split it in two ..an L and an R like what I was getting.Or should I click on SUMMED MONO instead of Multiple Mono?Thanks Dave!!This is so typical. Wander through any bookstore in the computer/software section and you'll see rows and rows of "how-to" books even though those programs come with a help manual and sometime their own tutorials. It's like the software companies have made an agreement with the book companies to include only non-helpful materials, leaving a big market for the book companies to fill. I've had battles with dozens of programs and their cruddy help manuals only to have a third-party book come along and save the day. OK, back to the situation at hand. For the most part, at least for now, forget about mono and always think stereo. So from the choices you gave, stereo interleaved sounds like it's what you want. It said something about burning your bounce to an audio CD, but you should be able to make other choices like creating a wav file or an mp3. You just want to end up with a single, individual stereo file on your computer.Just as a reminder, if creating a WAV file check to see that your sample rate is set to 44100 and your bit depth is set to 16bit. If creating an MP3 file, I personally favor a setting of 192kbps, although you can select 128kbps and get a slightly smaller file size but with a slight loss in the quality of your sound.Now when Jessica's friends ask "What does your mom do?", she can really impress them by saying "She's a sound engineer and owns her own studio".

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:14 am

Actually the bit I quoted was from the NEW good site you gave me..So if that is good you can imagine what the stuff the company gave is like..! Anyway isnt stereo 2 and mono 1..so if I do the stereo..wouldnt I be getting a L and R also..and should likely do the summed mono?I am really pleased though so far ..the quality of her voice is pretty darn good with the system so we should be getting some new songs soon..And her collabs are talking ALBUM instead of just a 3 demo CD!!!!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:21 am

I guess you'd have to try it but "interleaved" stereo implies that the left and right will be mixed together, which is ultimately what you want. For sure you don't want mono. Mono will make your recording sound like, well, thin. Stereo is what gives a recording a richer, fuller sound. You won't find any mono recordings at the record store.

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:36 am

Will try that on my next "mix down"...can't wait! NOT!Seriously though, its so exciting that Jessica is going to have some new music!

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:43 am

BTW Dave, why would I save as WAV and not MP3 and also what is an MPEG?

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:16 am

If you want to make up a CD you'd use a 16bit, 44.1khz wav. file because that's what all CDs operate with!MP3 is short for MPEG3. An MP3 is typically used when sending or streaming files over the internet because it's only about 10% of the size that a wav file of the same song would be.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:48 am

...and 90% of the quality.

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:21 am

The quality of different formats is much misunderstood.I often ask my students to put the following formats in order of quality.Records (vinyl)TapeCDMP3Which would you say is the best?