Protools..Part 2 (simple question)

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Protools..Part 2 (simple question)

Post by slimcharm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:06 am

I am sure someone with knowledge of Protools would be able to answer this and I would appreciate it!I have my music track and Jessica records vocals to it.Then I click save. When I look in my save files on my computer (not in protools)..I see the music (l & R) and I see Jessicas vocals..but I dont see where the two have been combined. Is that something I have to do during the recording process.If I were in Protools I hear Jessica singing to the music ..but after I have saved and looked at it..I dont see where the combination is - instead I get separate pieces.Do I have to actually SAVE the combination? If so how do I do that?Thankyou

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Protools..Part 2 (simple question)

Post by davewalton » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:53 am

Hi,Things are as they should be. You have a music track and in addition to that you've recorded a vocal track. Those will and mostly should always stay as individual tracks.This isn't ProTools specific, but every program basically works this way. When you have recorded your tracks and you're happy with everything and you want to render your final copy, you'll export or save. That will create a standalone, individual music file on your computer but won't affect the individual tracks in ProTools. Generally you'll export or save as a WAV file and then use that file to create an MP3 or a CD or CD track, or whatever.In Sonar, I select "Export Audio" and then I have choices but the default is "Export To Stereo File". That is where everything gets combined into one file.The specific words and choices may vary a little in ProTools, but the idea will be the same.Hope that helps,Dave

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:29 pm

Pro Tools uses mono files, so a stereo pair is two files (even if you're using stereo track that keeps them together). Also, if you do any crossfades, PT creates fade files - each fade is a file, in other words.You just save the Pro Tools file and everything will come up just the same when you launch the session again.

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:05 pm

Ok...then since you have protools..I save the file I get everything up again..But if I want to send someone a song with the music and vocals combined..- how do I combine them in the file that is saved and sent? I see it in the session but not in the files outside the session..Outside the session I see them all separately.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:30 pm

You need to do a mixdown. Select file> Bounce to disk.Under the box that pops up, choose: stereo, 16bit, 44.1khz (it might say 44100), wav (or aiff if you like). There might be other stuff you have to set too, like length of song etc. When you finally press the bounce button a file selection box will pop up. Name the file after the song and save it where you want it. Make sure you remember where you've saved it!!!All of this is in the manual which you will have to read properly sooner or later.......

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:00 am

Mani,I have the manual in front of me. It is not written for the novice. As a beginner..I have no idea what a mixdown is, bouncing, disk etc. This is written for the person who has some knowledge about how to work the equipment.However since you all said I had to do a bounce from file I went and clicked on bounce..I am not 100% sure what I did , but I got it to work. And I thank you for your help..! Hopefully I will be able to do it again.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:37 am

The best thing you can do at that rate is read the manual, and when you come across terms you are not sure about (whether computer related or specifically Protools related) make a list of them and ask here. That way, you won't be a novice for long!Believe me I do know how confusing it is. There are several names for each function and so many menus etc. and aaarrrrggghhhh!!To start you off...A 'mixdown' is when you create your 'final mix' (or just 'mix') of the song. This is the finished version of the track* (song). The only other process that might be applied to a 'final mix' afterwards is 'mastering' but that's not something you need to worry about unless it's an album.'Bouncing' is something you do to extract an audio file from a program (Protools) so that all the effects and other changes you've made within the program are retained as part of the audio file itself. This process can be done on a single file (say guitar with echo) or to a whole mix (ie. a mixdown!)'Disk' is the Hard Drive on your computer.*'Track' can mean several things. A specific recording in a mix, like the lead vocal track, or the acoustic guitar track. Or it can mean the whole song. It can also be used as a verb to describe the process of recording..."Yeah, I'm goin' into the studio today to track some vocals. I'm soooo cool."

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:11 am

Let me say I was thinking when they said disk they meant a disc..I was trying to figure out how bouncing it to a disc was going to get me anywhere!Also it didnt help that I had to download the newer version of protools as soon as I got my box cus I was sent the old one..and then I had to figure out that the help file was not included in the download!!!Anyway I actually put a song together, bounced it and sent it!!!! So thats my next question..when I sent it , it was too large and it came back as undeliverable..so I sent it via a website where they could go download it.. BUT is there a way I can make the file smaller so it was deliverable? ie also should it be sent as .wav or MP3?Thanks doll!!!!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:52 am

I export, bounce, whatever, my tracks into a single WAV file. From there I use that WAV file to either make a CD or a track on a CD, or convert it to an MP3 for posting on a web site or sending via email. MP3 can be encoded at different rates. The higher the rate, the better the sound but the bigger the file. 128kbps is the minimum rate, I think, and still have decent sound quality. Broadjam uses this bit rate as their standard. I use 192 kbps for my MP3 files because it's a noticable improvement on a lot of things and still yields a reasonably small file (2.7mb for a 2 minute song).

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:15 am

Dave,I think Protools can convert directly to MP3 files..I know I bought the option so that I could import songs easier.So would I convert before bouncing or during the bounce..any ideas?Also when I saw the song..there was a L and an R..two versions (same thing) I guess thats left and right..but why would it give me L and R..when they sound the same?