Protools..volume Take 2...?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Protools..volume Take 2...?

Post by ernstinen » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:36 pm

Quote:Oh boy...I think we may have almost enough material for a sitcom here ...I've already started writing the pilot --- should be a big hit! "The best new comedy since Seinfeld --- Coming this fall on NBC --- RECORDING JESSICA" Ern

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:37 pm

Really I think I should be applauded and loudly cheered for setting up the microphone..instead of being regaled with peels of laughter for singing into the back of the mic.

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:42 pm

"The best new comedy since Seinfeld --- Coming this fall on NBC --- RECORDING JESSICA"EXCUUUUSSSSEEEE MEEEE...we take our recording very very seriously here. This is not a joke. I fail to see the humor in this situation. Especially since we know the book instructions are faulty to begin with and that anyone would have had as we did a 50/50 chance of singing to the back of the mic unless they knew their gold dots.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:47 pm

Quote:Really I think I should be applauded and loudly cheered for setting up the microphone..instead of being regaled with peels of laughter for singing into the back of the mic.Clap clap clap! Whistle whistle! Yay yay! Clap clap clap!There --- I'll apologize for all the smart alecks here! Good job, Slim --- Merry Christmas!Ern

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:41 pm

Quote:"The best new comedy since Seinfeld --- Coming this fall on NBC --- RECORDING JESSICA" NBC could really use a hit too...maybe we can work some of that Jeff Foxworthy stuff into it..."you might be a recording greenhorn if..." Sorry slim ... but this IS funny. Btw the manual of all Rode mics clearly states that the gold dot marks the front of the mic...it's a lot classier than a sign saying "put lips here -->" Seriously though: recording is a rather complex craft, some might say an art even. I think you'd have to agree that it's impossible for each piece of equipment to come with a manual that explains the basics of recording technique from the ground up. And to make sure a complete novice "gets it", that's what they'd have to do.For example everybody with even the most basic understanding of recording knows what a "channel" is, and wouldn't go look for it on the mic itself.I would recommend you get yourself a good book on basic recording technique and read it. You won't get around learning the terminology. There definitely is a learning curve, and you can't expect instant gratification.You wouldn't expect to be fluent in a foreign language in a few weeks...nor would you expect every single publication in that foreign language to come with a comprehensive dictionary attached to it. matto

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:02 pm

Slim charm,Sorry for the laugh at your expense. But on the real side of things, not too many women even try to engineer so I'm 100% supportive of your jumping into the deep end.And just to make you feel better, something funny happened to me when I was starting to perform professionally. I went to a practice and set up my equipment. At that time I played bass and sang. I plugged the mic into an amp on a positive polarity and plugged the bass into an amp with a negative polarity. During a song, when my mouth got too close to the mic, a huge volt went through my body. I could feel it travel from my lips down my arms. My body jolted and was flung to the ground. We were taping the practice so I could listen back to my scream. Once I survived, everyone laughed at me about it for about a year. I didn't think it was funny, I was scared. But the moral of the story is... now I think it's funny.Nomi

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:44 am

Here's my funny/horror story about recording!I was SO getting into mixing a rock song on headphones. My rock guitar tracks were intoxicating.After a few hours, I started hearing a strange "feedback," kind of a warbling sound. I turned off the reverb. Nope. The delay. Nope. Every thing I could think of. Nope --- same feedback.So I took off my headphones --- and the feedback WAS STILL THERE! It was MY EARS that were freaking out!After a few minutes, the feedback subsided.Moral of the story: Be careful of headphone volume!Live and learn,Ern

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:32 am

"Btw the manual of all Rode mics clearly states that the gold dot marks the front of the mic"Matto...I have the manual here in front of me. There is ONE sentence buried in the body of text that says (Note ON axis: addressing the microphone directly towards the gold dot). Regardless I think it is apparent that the gold dot is the front of the microphone. However, when one is new and the gold dot is covered by a shock mount and the microphone looks the same front to back..one does not think about gold dots. UNTIL one rereads the booklet and is lucky enough to see that little sentence that is BURIED in the text.I dont know what manual you have..my manual is a skinny booklet that is 6 pages and it has one sentence about the dot. I do think that its obvious that is the front..if it had not been hidden by the shockmount as I said I would have picked up on the error. My daughter actually put it on the shockmount and I didnt even think about it.ANYWAY NEW PROBLEM HERE...I did read the booklet but I did not read the entire booklet..because it got into recording bass, piano etc. So I just now read the back of the booklet and it says that after use the NT1 should be wiped dry and placed in its pouch.It also says that the supplied absorbent crystals should be at the head of the microphone to absorb any moisture present. I DO NOT HAVE ANY CRYSTALS with my mic. It is possible that they were thrown out thinking they were not needed or they never came..So what should I do?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:16 pm

slim charm,happy holidays to you and your family. how is the recording going? i was curious if jessica has a band you are working with in the studio and/or live performances? or are you going to do the producing and performing of instruments yourself? hope you don't mind me asking.nomi

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:02 pm

Quote:"Btw the manual of all Rode mics clearly states that the gold dot marks the front of the mic"So I just now read the back of the booklet and it says that after use the NT1 should be wiped dry and placed in its pouch.Slim, you're doing well in trying to do things correctly!Sometimes condensor mics get "spit" on them and shoud be cleaned with paper towels. No big deal. Just "dab" off any moisture. I'm sure the newer mics won't reject any "kisses!"That's part of the "fun" of learning recording --- Oh, no, I did it again ---Happy New Year!Ern