Public Domain...?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ASabatino

Public Domain...?

Post by ASabatino » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:40 pm

Hey friends, first time poster here, I recently got a number of tracks rejected from a listing. its not a big deal because I realize I submitted tracks that weren't the proper genre for the brief.

There were some odd notes from the listener though that gave me pause:
https://www.taxi.com/members/aDa0dS2tRa ... UupCXfN8aQ
https://www.taxi.com/members/aDa0dS2tRa ... kfGFTBobaA

I submitted remixes/covers of a number of famous Christmas songs and the listener claimed the above songs were NOT in the public domain. This is simply not true, Greensleeves is from the 1600s and Ukrainian Bell Carol is public domain as well. The listener's claim that "Carol of the Bells" is public domain is true, but Carol of the Bells is specifically the version with lyrics, not the melody itself.

Overall I'm not hurt or anything by the rejection, I submitted the incorrect genre, but it does concern me that some songs may be rejected based off the incorrect assumptions of the listeners. I'm also worried that there is no proper recourse if they get something like that wrong.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this, and how can we go about remedying it?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Public Domain...?

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:55 pm

ASabatino wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:40 pm
I submitted the incorrect genre, but it does concern me that some songs may be rejected based off the incorrect assumptions of the listeners. I'm also worried that there is no proper recourse if they get something like that wrong.
No need to be worried. If the submissions were the wrong genre here then it wouldn't make any difference to the outcome (returns). Where members truly believe that the screeners have made an error its possible to call Taxi and take up the matter with the head screener. It still won't change the outcome unless it really is a genuine error, although decisions have occasionally been reversed.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

ASabatino

Re: Public Domain...?

Post by ASabatino » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:26 pm

Ok good to know, still worrisome though that a listener called 2 songs that ARE in the public domain "not public domain."