Publishing contract query

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markparr

Publishing contract query

Post by markparr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 am

Hi guys,

I have a question about a publishing contract. A while ago I had a forward put through for a drum/percussion track. The Publisher contacted me and said that they loved the piece and wanted it on an exclusive deal (in-perpetuity).
They then asked me to write them another one which I did and they loved that too and stated that they wanted this one as well. They asked me to provide them with edits for each cue, which I did and then said that a contract would be sent out.
I have now been waiting for the contract to be sent to me for quite a while now. I have chased it up and they said that they definitely want the two tracks and keep promisied to send the contract out that week (which they never did).
My question is..............how long do I wait for the contracts and am I allowed to pitch these tracks elsewhere, considering that they haven't been signed yet, or is that not the done thing? My personal point of view is that I have morally committed these tracks to this publisher but without the signed contracts they have not been professionally commissioned to this company. I am left in a bit of a limbo situation. Or is it a case of I am just being a bit hasty, as maybe these things take time.
This would be my first singing to a publisher so any advice from seasoned pros would be really useful.
See you at the Road Rally. I'm flying in from the UK :D

Thanks

Mark

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Publishing contract query

Post by ResonantTone » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 am

How long have you been waiting for the contract?

If it’s just been a few weeks, I’d definitely wait it out. Sometimes libraries get backed up with stuff and it takes them a while to catch up. I usually send a quick and friendly reminder to libraries in this kind of situation, making sure that my email included my previous email’s text so they can see that I’ve been reaching out.

If it’s been in the 3-4 months range, I’d consider sending a polite email stating you really would love to work with them, and to please reconnect if and when they are ready to do that. Also kindly let them know that the original two tracks will potentially be shipped off elsewhere unless you hear back.

Bottom line - patience is a big part of it, but don’t be afraid to shoot a little friendly reminder out every couple weeks or so. Almost every time this kinda thing has happened to me, the library eventually got back to me apologetically, and provided me with whatever info I needed.

Hope that helps! Good luck! 😊
Andrew

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 am

markparr wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 am
Hi guys,

I have a question about a publishing contract. A while ago I had a forward put through for a drum/percussion track. The Publisher contacted me and said that they loved the piece and wanted it on an exclusive deal (in-perpetuity).
They then asked me to write them another one which I did and they loved that too and stated that they wanted this one as well. They asked me to provide them with edits for each cue, which I did and then said that a contract would be sent out.
I have now been waiting for the contract to be sent to me for quite a while now. I have chased it up and they said that they definitely want the two tracks and keep promisied to send the contract out that week (which they never did).
My question is..............how long do I wait for the contracts and am I allowed to pitch these tracks elsewhere, considering that they haven't been signed yet, or is that not the done thing? My personal point of view is that I have morally committed these tracks to this publisher but without the signed contracts they have not been professionally commissioned to this company. I am left in a bit of a limbo situation. Or is it a case of I am just being a bit hasty, as maybe these things take time.
This would be my first singing to a publisher so any advice from seasoned pros would be really useful.
See you at the Road Rally. I'm flying in from the UK :D

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark!
I am glad you brought this up. I am in a similar situation (waiting for Schedules after uploading tracks, waiting for feedback on revisions etc.). Mike always mentions on the Taxi TV Show how busy library people are but in some cases I've started wondering whether the more 'current sounding' tracks will still be considered 'contemporary' by the time the track is actually available in the library :D
Cheers,
Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Like Andy said, if it's only a few weeks they could just be busy and I'd wait.

If it's 2 months or more, you might want to call Taxi and ask if they know what's up.

I disagree with ResonantTone as far as "Also kindly let them know that the original two tracks will potentially be shipped off elsewhere unless you hear back". That could come off as threatening them, put them off, and it buys you nothing. If they don't get back to you within a few months and you have another deal offered, just take it if you want. If after that, they do contact you, you can tell them the tracks aren't are available anymore and offer to write others like those.

Best of luck!
:D Casey

markparr

Post by markparr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. It has nearly been 2 months now since they stated that they want the songs and I guess all I can do is either be very patient and wait or start pitching them again through Taxi. I don't like to do that really as we have made an agreement but it's just not an "official" one. On the other hand I don't want these tracks just sitting there doing nothing. Hmmmmm (Scratches head) :D

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:00 am

markparr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 am
Thanks for your replies everyone. It has nearly been 2 months now since they stated that they want the songs and I guess all I can do is either be very patient and wait or start pitching them again through Taxi. I don't like to do that really as we have made an agreement but it's just not an "official" one. On the other hand I don't want these tracks just sitting there doing nothing. Hmmmmm (Scratches head) :D
I assume the library is an exclusive one?
You might want to reach out to Taxi and see if they know what's up. It could just be the library person is very busy. Taxi vets their clients very well but every now and then something falls through the cracks, something changed with the client's needs/approach, etc. Taxi customer service is top notch.

Good luck!
:D Casey

markparr

Post by markparr » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 am

Hi,

I've emailed Taxi and received a rapid response with some great advice. They basically said that this particular Publisher are extremely busy and I will be on their "to do" list. I should wait at least another month but not chase this anymore with them as I think that they might not appreciated it :)
Also, I am free to pitch these tracks elsewhere if I so desire as they are not under contract at the moment. So, I'm going to be very patient and give them a while to send out the contracts.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Your advice is much appreciated. :D

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Are you getting any upfront money for this deal?

markparr

Post by markparr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 am

Hi DesireInspires................no money upfront but this is my first dealing with a Publishing company. I don't mind giving them a couple of drum tracks exclusively and in-perpetuity. I wouldn't do this with my vocal tracks though ;)

adamto99

Post by adamto99 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:44 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 am
How long have you been waiting for the contract?
filezilla uc browser rufus
If it’s just been a few weeks, I’d definitely wait it out. Sometimes libraries get backed up with stuff and it takes them a while to catch up. I usually send a quick and friendly reminder to libraries in this kind of situation, making sure that my email included my previous email’s text so they can see that I’ve been reaching out.

If it’s been in the 3-4 months range, I’d consider sending a polite email stating you really would love to work with them, and to please reconnect if and when they are ready to do that. Also kindly let them know that the original two tracks will potentially be shipped off elsewhere unless you hear back.

Bottom line - patience is a big part of it, but don’t be afraid to shoot a little friendly reminder out every couple weeks or so. Almost every time this kinda thing has happened to me, the library eventually got back to me apologetically, and provided me with whatever info I needed.

Hope that helps! Good luck! 😊
Andrew
yes it s help a lot thanks
Last edited by adamto99 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.