Publishing rights

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

keithbeck

Publishing rights

Post by keithbeck » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:29 am

Hi, I'm new on this board so maybe my question has been asked and answered a million times but... Most all of the requests state that the requested music will give the person requesting the music ALL (100%) of the publishing rights. My questions are: Is this fair? and what is the percentage of publisher rights (100%) vs Writers rights(100%) - in dollar amount?? And... Can I negotiate these publishing rights? Thanks KB

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Publishing rights

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:36 am

keithbeck wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:29 am
Hi, I'm new on this board so maybe my question has been asked and answered a million times but...
Yes it has !
keithbeck wrote:
Most all of the requests state that the requested music will give the person requesting the music ALL (100%) of the publishing rights.
Yes
keithbeck wrote:
My questions are: Is this fair?
You write the music - and the library works hard to try and find clients who will want to use it and place it TV / Ads / Film, that's how they earn their half.

It's a fair and equitable split IMHO. There are worse deals out there.
keithbeck wrote:
and what is the percentage of publisher rights (100%) vs Writers rights(100%) - in dollar amount??

That would depend how much the track has earned , could be zero, could be a few dollars, could be several hundred and occasionally they get into the thousands. It all depends and these tracks often accrue smaller amounts over time but it adds up.
keithbeck wrote:
Can I negotiate these publishing rights?
No not really, it's a standard deal and they will just move on to the next writer rather than mess about - the deal is the deal really. Take it or leave it but it rarely gets much better than 50/50

https://youtu.be/JkbyKQi7Qt4

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:32 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:36 am
keithbeck wrote:
My questions are: Is this fair?
You write the music - and the library works hard to try and find clients who will want to use it and place it TV / Ads / Film, that's how they earn their half.
It's a fair and equitable split IMHO.
A lot of people seriously underestimate (in a huge way) what it takes to do what the library does. Actually PLACING your songs is a major undertaking involving lots of different skills, more than full time hours, building relationships and trust with clients, administering and keeping track of thousands of songs, reviewing music, curating pitches to client's needs, contracts and negotiations, and a host of other things. So yea, they earn their 50% easily.

Also keep in mind that there are different kinds of music library deals with respect to their publishing rights:
(1) They get 100% of publishing, exclusive, but only for sync uses (film, tv, ads, video) but you can still put your music on streaming sites, sell downloads, have other artists record, etc.
(2) They get 100% of publishing, exclusive, and it is all encompassing.
(3) Non-exclusive: They get 100% of publishing but only for the sync placements they make. This is done by re-titling your track and registering it with the re-title name and them as publisher. Often they just add a tag to your title such as "Lib X - I Love You Always".

HTH
:D Casey

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:17 pm

Caveat - if you believe you have a hit song then hold on to it all unless a guy with a big cigar gives you the mill.

If it is a cue then you need a willing (i.e. 50%) publisher to make it even possible to make money out of it

keithbeck

Post by keithbeck » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:43 am

thanks a lot! That clears up a lot of thing for me...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:20 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:17 pm
Caveat - if you believe you have a hit song then hold on to it all unless a guy with a big cigar gives you the mill.
Of course, everybody thinks they have a hit song!! Someone might, but most songwriters starting out think they have written hits and it's a rude awakening when they find out that's not the case. When I joined Taxi in the early 2000s and started getting pro critiques from Taxi and NSAI, I was very quickly educated, even if kicking and screaming a bit.

Keep in mind that even if you do have a great song with hit potential, getting it to an artist without a publisher or representation such as a music attorney, is pretty much impossible. Again, that's where they earn there money.

:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:10 am

keithbeck wrote:
Hi, I'm new on this board so maybe my question has been asked and answered a million times but...
Most questions have been answered before, so its always worth using the search function to have a look around for answers.
keithbeck wrote:
Most all of the requests state that the requested music will give the person requesting the music ALL (100%) of the publishing rights. My questions are: Is this fair?
Have a look here for a previous reply...
post587342.html?hilit=publisher#p587342
keithbeck wrote:
what is the percentage of publisher rights (100%) vs Writers rights(100%) - in dollar amount?? And... Can I negotiate these publishing rights? Thanks KB
There is no dollar amount until the music earns something, and the main route to earnings here is being broadcast on TV. As has been said, a track might never earn a cent, or could be used hundreds of times on a recurring prime time show and earn loads, but until it happens (or doesn't) nobody knows.
keithbeck wrote:
Can I negotiate these publishing rights? Thanks KB
With a standard library deal that's extremely unlikely. If you're offered a deal directly with a music supervisor there MIGHT be a little bit of wriggle room, but they are working within a budget and will usually offer you a fair split of the money they have available.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

keithbeck

Post by keithbeck » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:24 pm

My question was not worded correctly
"what is the percentage of publisher rights (100%) vs Writers rights(100%) - in dollar amount??"

What I wanted to say was - If my song gets played on tv and the publisher makes $100 on it ,what do I get as the writer? $100 as well or much less or maybe more?

I hope that makes better sense. Thanks

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:58 pm

keithbeck wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:24 pm
My question was not worded correctly
"what is the percentage of publisher rights (100%) vs Writers rights(100%) - in dollar amount??"

What I wanted to say was - If my song gets played on tv and the publisher makes $100 on it ,what do I get as the writer? $100 as well or much less or maybe more?

I hope that makes better sense. Thanks
Every dollar is generally split 50/50 between writer and publisher. If you place a song on tv and the show pays a $200 sync fee, you get $100 and the publisher gets $100. PRO royalties (ASCAP, BMI, etc.) are automatically split such that the publisher gets 50% and the writer gets 50%. Make sense? :D

keithbeck

Post by keithbeck » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:29 pm

Beautiful! Thanks