Pulishing

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

voni2724

Pulishing

Post by voni2724 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 am

Guys I need some insight here--my friend of many years texts me yesterday and tells me that she sold her lyrics and wants to know if I want to sell mine(She's trying to help me out of course). I asked her about it and she basically said that she knows someone who works at ASCAP and the guy submitted her song in their "pool."She did get $$ for it but she sells as a ghostwriter so "an artist can change a few words and claim as their own..only because chances of selling are higher that way."ok first of all, what is a pool? Has any sold their songs like this? I am still fuzzy about the publishing rights but I don't feel comfortable with that sort of deal. I don't mind selling a little bit, making or changes either, but this deal makes me uncomfortable. Maybe I am being too picky, but thats a big compromise for me. I gotta admit something. I know that I don't know you guys--maybe that's why its easy to say this, but I was alittle jealous and little left in the dark because as a little girl I shared my writing with her. All of those years of knowing her, she has never told me that she wrote or maybe she just started writing. Do I take a chance on a opportunity like this? I have never really took initative in the music business cause I have been shy. What do you guys think? LaVonne

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Pulishing

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 am

Aug 20, 2009, 11:12am, voni2724 wrote:Guys I need some insight here--my friend of many years texts me yesterday and tells me that she sold her lyrics and wants to know if I want to sell mine(She's trying to help me out of course). I asked her about it and she basically said that she knows someone who works at ASCAP and the guy submitted her song in their "pool."She did get $$ for it but she sells as a ghostwriter so "an artist can change a few words and claim as their own..only because chances of selling are higher that way."ok first of all, what is a pool? Has any sold their songs like this? I am still fuzzy about the publishing rights but I don't feel comfortable with that sort of deal. I don't mind selling a little bit, making or changes either, but this deal makes me uncomfortable. Maybe I am being too picky, but thats a big compromise for me. I gotta admit something. I know that I don't know you guys--maybe that's why its easy to say this, but I was alittle jealous and little left in the dark because as a little girl I shared my writing with her. All of those years of knowing her, she has never told me that she wrote or maybe she just started writing. Do I take a chance on a opportunity like this? I have never really took initative in the music business cause I have been shy. What do you guys think? LaVonneI've haven't heard of anything like this before but listen to your own instincts. Do you really want to lose control over your creative property? Are you even sure this is a legit deal? Do you really think that ASCAP has a 'pool of lyrics'? They certainly have a place where you can list projects to work on... but it sounds fishy to me. Forget about being jealous and think about how you envision your own songwriting career. What are your goals, and what are you doing to gain the skills and tools you need to achieve them? As you grow your skill levels and write successfully with co-writers, your confidence will grow.IMHO (assuming you are a lyricist) what you should be doing is collaborating with musicians who write music in your genre, and working together to create a pitchable cataloque. You are in the right place to get good advice about the industry (and perhaps find decent collaborators). A book you might wish to read is John Braheny's "The Craft and the Business of Songwriting". Knowledge of the industry and how it works is crucial.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:05 am

Jealousy is just your inner voice telling you it's time to step out with your music. She's doing something you want to be doing - so rather than dwelling on her opportunity (which may or may not be legit, but sounds like its not your opportunity from your gut reaction) and get to work on creating your own opportunities for your music.Are you ready to take the initiative and build your music business? Great! Vikki gave you some good ideas - take action today.Your Coach,Debra

frayedknot2b
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by frayedknot2b » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:39 pm

I think the first thing I would do would be to check with ASCAP, they are pretty straight forward and up front about their business.Jesse

ontariolightning
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ontariolightning » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:17 pm

selling lyrics? that's new to me

voni2724

Post by voni2724 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:39 pm

thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate it. I agree with you about everything, and I think both of us had some jealously issues with this. Its funny but it just seems when I told her a year ago I was recording she said I was doing what she wanted to do and then she did this...but like you said Debra jealously is my inner voice speaking out and telling me to step up more. Well I decided to follow my gut: this deal is not for me. by the way funny I spelled publishing without a b. I laughed at myself, but not a big deal right? right. Thanks again!!!!!Lavonne

guitarhacker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitarhacker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:02 pm

selling lyrics?....hummmmmm To my knowledge, which is limited on most subjects, I thought the music industry licensed lyrics...generally in a completed song, and paid royalties..... outright sales are the things of the past.
http://www.herbhartley.com

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=28574

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo DaVinci