'puter noise

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 'puter noise

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:30 am

Ed, I don't quite follow. That picture is inside the studio, showing the trap door in the wall between it and the garage. The shelves are in the garage. You can also see the hole in the wall for the wires, which looks like it's visible but actually is hidden behind the file cabinet.(I used to have a desk where the wires come in. That's the problem with trying to do anything permanent in a studio - you always end up changing something.)But where are the fumes? The kitchen is somewhere else.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am

Nick, I think Ed is referring to the fumes leaking from the garage (from your car) into the house.og, your idea of a hole coming from the floor seems like it has potential, but don't underestimate the need for active circulation...your gear will heat up very fast if its surrounding air is stagnant, and the hotter your gear runs, the faster it dies (except those wonderful, warm tube pre's heating up your control room).Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Well, the hole needs to be close to the wall(so I can fix it when we sell and retire to Maine so I can spend my days fishing, winter days writing--we hope!), so if I put the tower on a platform so the cool cellar air would run under the platform to the front, then vent above the fan in the back...I would think that a foam stack would deaden the noise by the time it neared the ceiling, which is that cheap, cheesy fiber tile--pretty dead stuff. Am I on the right track?Attacking the problem from another angle; will a long (15 ft) cord on my phones cause problems recording? If I just move the mics and me into the bedroom, it is quieter, but a long way from the gear.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 pm

Ah, the fumes from the car! It never occurred to me that a garage would be for a car! We park our cars in the driveway. Not an issue.And if you saw how full my garage is, you'd see that I can't even get my bicycle in there.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:57 pm

og, you can run phones way more than 15'. The issue is computer cables. You can run USB a little more than 10' without an active hub or repeater, VGA (analog) monitors a very long way with good cable, standard DVI (digital monitor) cables about 12' before getting sparklies... and DVI-D for a 30" monitor 6' before you need a fricking expensive Gefen booster ($300+).

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:23 am

Nick,That was SOO similar to my response to the fire marshall! "Why would I put a car in the recording studio?" I asked. "And how?" (I had repaced the normal car door with a carpeted wall, cause that was the direction the amps faced.) Didn't seem to matter when it came to SoCal rules and regs, so the booth had to be taken out (but then was put right back after the house sale closed and all the papers were signed.) But what a pain!).
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:12 am

Gunter, brick is another story. My wall is plaster, which means you can reseal the hole with Spackle anytime. If you look at the first photo in the link earlier in this thread, you can see the hole behind the lamp on top of the file cabinet. It's about 3" diameter.What do you mean by "G5-style monitor?" I think you mean that you're using ADC on your G4, which is a composite of digital video, USB, and power, but Apple has switched to using standard DVI, USB, and power. You can easily extend DVI to about 12-15' depending on the cable and the resolution, as I said, even if Apple doesn't sell the cable. Dual-link DVI, which is what the 30" Apple Cinema HD and Dell [don't know number' monitors use, requires an expensive video repeater from Gefen (or a 2-port dual-link DVI switcher, which is what I went for instead). Nobody else makes that box, unfortunately.By the way, I may be cynical, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple prefers short monitor cables so you have the computer in view. They way they look, Macs are a commercial for Apple.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks, Nick. Recording in the bedroom may be the best solution. I can have my wife run the computer--she's dying to paticipate in my grand designs, anyway, so I'll promote her to engineer! (From head cheerleader)

jaysta

Post by jaysta » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:34 pm

why not build a small mic booth? or is the room to small?? I did, cost me about $300. GL.Jay

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:32 am

What did you make it out of, Jay? Mic booth, closet - whatever you call it is a great option.