Q about alternative versions

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DaveGraham

Q about alternative versions

Post by DaveGraham » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:28 pm

Hi

Just wondering if any of you have some advice on how to handle this.

I had 2 tracks forwarded recently, and a similar brief has come up again but requires shorter tracks. I'd like to shave 30s off and submit them for this brief too.

Is it ok to do alternate versions and submit to this other brief, or am I setting myself up for problems later?

Obviously I don't want to replace the files on the first listings as they are already forwarded to a client.

Is it best to give it the same title but with a suffix like " 90sec version"?
Or best to avoid alternative versions altogether?

Thanks!

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Q about alternative versions

Post by superkons » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:51 am

Dave, your best bet is to create new sessions off of the original ones, and work on the new ones to make the reduced versions. Track titles may stay the same, really, just specify the new duration as the name of the new sessions, for example. Hope that makes sense!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:07 am

Hi Dave,

The way I see it is that as long as you didn't sign a contract for this particular track yet, there is nothing wrong with re submitting the exact same track or a variation thereof for another listing. Keep in mind that sometimes you will be contacted months away from a forward and sometimes you will not be contacted at all!

If you follow Taxi TV you may have noticed that ML always suggests submitting as much as you can (if the right opportunity arises of course) and whoever contacts you first will get the track. If someone contacts you later when the track is already grabbed you can always be sincere and let them know that it is no longer available while at the same time you can offer to produce a fresh track in a similar vein as needed. 2 birds with one stone kind of :)

Hope it helps!
Owen

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:45 am

Thanks both.

Makes sense...and I suspected as much, but reassuring to get confirmation!

I use a huge Excel spreadsheet to keep track of project names vs title etc so I can keep multiple versions and should be able to go straight back to the correct project.

Cheers!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:53 am

Totally OK to submit the shortened versions. However, to keep things straight on your Taxi page, I would not overwrite the full versions, I would upload the new tracks with titles that say are annotated with "(90 sec mix)" or something like that. Good luck!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:55 am

I agree with all of the above - create a new session and be sure to keep any earlier versions that have already been forwarded and that you know which listing they forwarded for.

One potential problem is that assuming you had another forward its entirely possible for one or even both libraries to get back to you without referring to the listing, and in that case you wouldn't know which version they like and want. Therefore, my suggestion would be to vary the title slightly so you'll know (e.g. 'Moody Sky' becomes 'Moody Skies' or 'Stormy Sky', but would avoid calling it 'Moody Skies 2'). I would also suggest that you keep both sessions in the same folder, so if one version were to get an exclusive deal it will be clear to you that other version is also no longer available for further submissions. Just my take on it though, and others might have better suggestions.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:00 am

Did the new listing say specifically that it HAS to be shorter ?

Most libraries have a minimum length but most don't worry too much if you're 30s over the minimum...I think most would be fine with 1:30 - 2:30 unless they are super specific

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:12 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:00 am
Did the new listing say specifically that it HAS to be shorter ?

Most libraries have a minimum length but most don't worry too much if you're 30s over the minimum...I think most would be fine with 1:30 - 2:30 unless they are super specific
It's a bit of a weird one but the original track was 2:51 - unusually long, and just squeaked past and got forwarded. The new listing says 2m max. There's a fairly long intro that would be easy to trim and it'd be fine for the listing I reckon.

(And I got feedback that it might be an idea to trim the intro)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:44 am

Right - gotchya

Yeah don't be making anything more than 2 mins unless requested I'd say