Question about exclusive deal submission.

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thekeizer

Question about exclusive deal submission.

Post by thekeizer » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:53 pm

I have a few pieces of music I'd like to submit to a listing that offers an exclusive deal.
The pieces I have were never listed with another publisher but a couple of them were used in a syndicated cooking show.
It was a direct placement, as I was acquainted with the producers. (I have them registered with my PRO)
Will that preclude me from submitting them to an exclusive library/publisher?

Thank you!

PeteCrane
Active
Active

Re: Question about exclusive deal submission.

Post by PeteCrane » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:07 pm

Considering that you've already registered the tracks with your PRO, I'd have to assume that in this case the ML would not be interested in publishing them, as exclusive MLs generally like to do the PRO registration. You could always play innocent if/when the client contacts you directly and say you submitted the tracks because they weren't exclusively published elsewhere. And if they end up not being able to use them, you could write more for the client once the connection has been made.

However I think a more up-front and less "shady" way of doing it would be to write a new track for the submission, and if it gets forwarded and the client likes it, then you could offer up your previously placed material for their consideration.
Last edited by PeteCrane on Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:15 am

My suggestion would be to exclude the already used and registered tracks. In this business you want to have a good reputation and a ML is trusting you to read the brief and follow instructions. Don't make them doubt your sincerity or knowledge of how things work.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:32 am

Interesting question. Not all exclusive libraries are concerned as long as they are not competing with other libraries for sync. So it's hard to say for sure. If you were talking directly to the library, you could ask.

I would contact Taxi and explain the situation and ask if you could still submit. They know the client personally. Good chance they'll say don't submit, but worth asking.

Good luck!
:-) Casey

thekeizer

Post by thekeizer » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.