Question about improving groove

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

awalsh

Re: Question about improving groove

Post by awalsh » Fri May 28, 2021 1:20 pm

Thanks everyone for listening and all the tips and insights.
I really appreciate it.
Alex

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Sat May 29, 2021 7:58 pm

My guess is the screener is referring to the drum track as the "groove" in this case and not referring to your sense of "groove" as a player (which didn't strike me as needing a ton of work). They are probably suggesting you should develop or work on the drum track a bit more and try to get it to play a stronger role in the arc and development of the mix.

Now groove, in the sense of a player having a certain groove or pocket, is certainly a fascinating and mysterious topic.

I remember when I was in college my rock band started working in the studio with a pretty successful Nashville writer/producer and all of a sudden hearing the phrase, "lay it back a little more" over and over, unfortunately mostly when he was addressing me and the other guitar player (guitarist are notorious for not having the greatest sense of rhythm). I did understand what he was trying to say, but I couldn't FEEL or HEAR the fact that we were rushing most of the time. That took a little while to unlock, but awareness is the 1st step.

Pro tip, I'm not giving medical advice here so talk to your doctor before trying this, but weed played a fundamental role in me being able to FEEL and HEAR the groove, probably sped the process up by a few years at least. Playing guitar along to songs through good headphones also helped me focus on the details. I still remember the 1st time I felt the difference and really locked in playing along to a Nuno Bettencourt riff (one of the easier ones - Cupid's Dead). It was like being in that flow state, or like a trance. I felt like, damn, this is what it feels like to ACTUALLY play music. It was like seeing the world in color after having been color blind my whole life.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sun May 30, 2021 12:23 am

Cameloide wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:58 pm
I still remember the 1st time I felt the difference and really locked in playing along to a Nuno Bettencourt riff (one of the easier ones - Cupid's Dead). It was like being in that flow state, or like a trance. I felt like, damn, this is what it feels like to ACTUALLY play music. It was like seeing the world in color after having been color blind my whole life.
Damn, that MUST have been on weed)))

I guess it is no accident that many of the greatest musicians were also drug addicts...

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Mon May 31, 2021 5:53 pm

Allan Holdsworth was channeling Cthulhu.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon May 31, 2021 10:16 pm

Some bass players were kinda bumbed out after the invention of amplification because they had to start playing the notes in tune or the right notes at all.
This made me laugh. :) "Damn it... now I have to actually play properly?" Thus began bass player jokes. ;)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:24 pm

Poor bass players. I like that bass player credo by Tony Levin. Funny stuff.

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:51 pm

I don't think the listener means "groove" in terms of rhythm. I think the word "groove" is being used here to relate to "mood". For example, focus on the "groove" creating a dark mood/energy.

Why do I think this?
1. The listener specifically compliments the "percussive approach".
2. Most of the remaining comments are directed at "mood" "dark" "etc." For example, "Mood could be darker on the top line."
3. The harmonica is called out as being a problem and the word "jammy" is used. I'm not positive that I know what "Jammy" means but it would seem to be equated with maybe "joyful improvisation" or something .similar. If so this would run counter to the desire for "gothic - dark - moody". I
4. The listener ticked the checkbox for "Mood is off-target with the listing request".
5. The listener did NOT check "there are tuning, rhythm or dissonance issues."

6. Not as persuasive of a reason . . . :) . . . If this had been shared on the board for critique, I might've offered a call for more "dark" in the track.

So, I think groove is meaning using the topline/other instruments to really put the mood in the dark/gothic place/vibe.

I'm not sure if that'll help. But, I hope it does.

:)

Johnny