Question about writing trailer music

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mattholsen

Question about writing trailer music

Post by mattholsen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm studying orchestral trailer music and I have a question: Do composers usually add the whooshes and risers or is that done when the trailer is put together? It seems like the editor would want to decide exactly what sounds go where, but I can't find a clear answer. Can anyone guide meon this?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Question about writing trailer music

Post by hummingbird » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:41 pm

As far as I am aware risers etc are the composers responsibility BUT we also have to make sure it doesn't sound like a 'sound effect' but is 'sound design' :)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

PeteCrane
Active
Active

Post by PeteCrane » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:06 pm

I haven't had any trailer music placed, just gotten some forwards for a trailer cue so far in my Taxi journey. But I think the same rule should apply to any music, which is to get the track basically 100% how you want it to sound with all the elements you feel it needs.
With cues, libraries will want a handful of variations (no melodies, no drums, etc) so providing a mix with no swooshes could be something they ask for if it gets signed. Again, not 100% sure this applies to trailer music as I've only had non-trailer tracks signed so far, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. But it's the approach I'd take. Besides, if there are going to be swooshes in the track, I'd prefer them to be my own designs than some trailer editor dragging in stock samples from a library.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:05 am

mattholsen wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:32 pm
I'm studying orchestral trailer music and I have a question: Do composers usually add the whooshes and risers or is that done when the trailer is put together? It seems like the editor would want to decide exactly what sounds go where, but I can't find a clear answer. Can anyone guide meon this?
Yes you need to add them yourself, they are an integral part of the cue. There are several dedicated Kontakt Libraries you can get for this task.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:04 am

Not an answer to your question but a general comment on trailer music.... To the best of my knowledge, trailer music is one of the most competitive and difficult types of cues to write for. Not for the faint of heart. The reason I'm saying this is sometimes I see beginners pitching for trailer cues before they've gained a lot of experience writing cues for Film/TV.

Beginners sometimes try their hand at every type of listing. Nothing wrong with that per se, but the time and energy might be better spend on something more attainable in the early days. If you are spending days on a trailer cue listing when you could write multiple really solid reality TV cues, you may be short changing yourself.

I do now know if the OP here is a beginner, not implying that. Just wanted to make this general comment.

FWIW... My 2 cents... JMHO...

:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Casey H wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:04 am
FWIW... My 2 cents... JMHO...
YMMV