Question for all y'all

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Question for all y'all

Post by squidlips » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:39 pm

I have a tendency to investigate all sorts of genres of music. So lately, while working on some stuff in the studio and waiting for them to gel, I re-released Immortal Schoolgirl from a previous album.So far, it's been forwarded for AA with great reviews and rejected for same with great reviews. What listing would you submit a song like this to? I know it might work better for film/tv but like I said above, it's also been forwarded in AA. Am I doing this right? Should I be looking at other listings as well?Here it is: (please scroll down to the bottom of the page to hear it, click on broadband under the title Immortal Schoolgirl):http://www.getnitahope.com/music.html

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Question for all y'all

Post by squidlips » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:16 am

Is it that bad? Or that confusing? C'mon, I know you're out there - 16 views and I can see your breath fogging my screen.

johnhampt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by johnhampt » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:42 am

I listened to it and really can't offer ANY opinion because it is totally out of my realm and my views would not be an accurate reflection. I am a popster and can relate to that genre more. Sorry.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:23 am

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I really appreciate it.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:39 am

I liked the song, but the lyric is pretty abstract for artist pitches and the treatment doesn't seem to fall nicely into any one genre for me. I am not a taxi member, yet, but for other opps similar to Taxi, I search almost all genre listings for opps where my songs might fit and I take a few chances when I think there might be a match. Or you could get a pro song review from taxi and ask them for genre ideas.Dean

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks Dean! I appreciate the input and will do as you suggest.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:36 pm

Thank you so much. For everything.

thirtysecbreeze

Post by thirtysecbreeze » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:04 pm

Hey. I really dig the in depth thinking process. I may be new to this forum and such, however I am not new to music, especially music with a "different" (not to be taken in a bad way) style. What I did mentally, while listening was wait for a more solid 'beat' to kick in. I have learned from various musicians who work on the mix of music and songs and one of their primary concerns a lot of the time is having something decent and not knowing where to go to make it extraordinary. Me being a guitarist was coming up with different chords in my head, mostly sustained and powerful, added along with a bass and drums and this song could very easily be brought up into the Nu-Metal scene. Sort of undergroundish grunge metal. however also with dropping a more vibrant and heavy beat with a bass line you could go the route of having some type of R&B song sort of like Bush' remake of "Mouth". if you catch my drift. The band Mars Volta comes to my head. Maybe you should delve into their music a little to see if that would help the thinnking process some. I might also would suggest trying to get up with some experimental rock musicians or some beat makers and seeing what would come of this. I know I would be on board to help out any way I could.Hope this helps out some or at least gives you some ideas. I love the vocals and once again the thought process, kinda like reading a free verse poem. Extremely interesting. Good luck and cheers! Let me know if I can be of any more help.Thirty

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:38 am

I first heard it, I am thinking yikes... casio keyboard sounds, but then... it was WOW!!Very obscure but I totally agree with Thirty that there is something here. Nice vocals no doubt, you did a good job of conveying emotion in that. I could hear that turned into a hit song easy. With drums, a good rolling bass and some modern heavy guitars, keep the schools playing in there as well and with YOUR vocals I would love that song and so would anyone who likes off the wall rock. I bet you could start a whole new genre. Like, first there was grunge, then came Alternative, then came Squid Rock You put that powerhouse emotion into that without a band.. I am still sitting here very impressed... giggling to myself.. WOW!!!Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:34 am

Hey guys:Wow, you've really got me thinking.....I've kinda veered away from rock (misspent road years, ack!) but these are exciting ideas. I think this song might be a once-in-a-lifetime kinda gig, though, sadly........the writer, a girlfriend of mine, was miserable when she wrote these lyrics and now is happy again. Naturally, her muse took off for Cancun in the meantime. Her lyrics lately have been so syruppy I've given up looking at them. LOLBut you gave me good ideas on updating this, giving it a little "squiddle" room, see what happens.