Question for Matto and all you other nice folks.

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question for Matto and all you other nice folk

Post by davewalton » Wed May 17, 2006 6:23 am

Quote:That is a good observation, Dave. I was wondering about that myself. Would you apply the same logic to sending directly to publishers and libraries? I know in writing some publishers accept multiple submissions and some don't. I haven't seen any mention of that concept in Songwriter's Market or other resource books. Maybe it isn't even an issue.Keep in mind that I have limited personal experience, but the first question they usually ask is "Is the song still available?". At first I thought it was a silly question, but since they have more experience than I do I can assume that it's not unusual for a pitched song to become unavailable.Matto pointed out in another thread that if a song you've pitched does become unavailable, that you've got your foot in the door with someone who's expressed interest in your music. Offer up another alternative tune similar to the one they liked or offer to write a new tune. Remember, they're professional and aggressive marketers. They're pitching these songs like crazy to network television, films, and artists. They're not so timid about this stuff and wouldn't give a second thought to broadcast marketing a song and letting the chips fall where they may. To the winner goes the spoils, to the losers - let them eat cake. Dave

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed May 17, 2006 6:25 am

Spariam,just to concur with everybody else, definitely DO NOT wait to re-submit a forwarded song until you hear from the company it was forwarded to, for three main reasons:1- Chances are you'll never hear from them. Unlike print publishing, where it is customary to receive a rejection letter, in the music world you won't hear anything at all unless they wanna sign your song...2- If the same song gets forwarded to more than one company and more than one is interested at the same time, this simply puts you in a better negotiating position3- If you sign the song (exclusively) with one company and then another one calls you about the same song later, you can offer to send them other material, or custom write them a similar trackThe point is you now have a working relationship with more than one company...all thanks to that one song. matto

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Wed May 17, 2006 6:45 am

Thanks everybody...excellent advice.--doug

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Wed May 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Quote:The point is you now have a working relationship with more than one company...all thanks to that one song. mattoThat's a great way to look at it.Quote:That is a good observation, Dave. I was wondering about that myself. Would you apply the same logic to sending directly to publishers and libraries? I know in writing some publishers accept multiple submissions and some don't. I haven't seen any mention of that concept in Songwriter's Market or other resource books. Maybe it isn't even an issue.Sometimes a publisher that you've signed songs with before will contact you for more material and not get back to you after sending it in...Sometimes they'll back to you 6 months after sending in the requested tracks.The point is... Try every avenue to get your songs published until they are.Zink

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Thu May 18, 2006 1:13 am

This is an interesting (and happy) adjustment for those of us who have toiled for years in the print world. You could make the same arguments for simultanteous sumissions there, but the industry s different. Great insight folks and much appreciated, espcially since a song of mine that was recently forwarded seems "just right" for a current listing.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin