Question for you guys that have received deals....

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mcanty
Impressive
Impressive

Question for you guys that have received deals....

Post by mcanty » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:03 am

I have received three forwards for the same song in the past two weeks..............my questions is, how long did it take between the forward and the actual deal to be offered?I realize there is no hard and fast rule..........just curious what would be the norm...

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question for you guys that have received deals

Post by davewalton » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:17 am

Quote:I have received three forwards for the same song in the past two weeks..............my questions is, how long did it take between the forward and the actual deal to be offered?I realize there is no hard and fast rule..........just curious what would be the norm...This isn't a "Taxi thing"... in the music world there is no norm. Could be the next day, could be years from now... or never. Within Taxi I had a year go by between a forward and a deal once. Outside of Taxi I recently had a situation where I've been submitting music here and there to a particular music library for over two years where I recently was contacted and we're working something out. It takes long enough that I don't wonder about past submissions anymore... I just focus on new submissions, new music and keep moving forward. Every once in a while then "ding!" my email comes up with some kind of interest from a submission I sent and forgot about long ago. They never come when we're expecting them for some reason.The best advice I can offer is to always move forward by continuing to submit and market your music. "Hey... what happened to that submission I made last month?" is a backwards move and never really helps. Focus on new submissions, new music for those submissions, etc and continue to "gently push yourself forward" (compliments of Traveling Ed). Then when you least expect it... "DING!". It's exciting though isn't it? Congratulations on the forwards! Dave

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:21 pm

ditto everything dave saidI had one deal come just a few weeks after the forward but all other deals have been three months to a year.I try not to think about it and just keep writing and producing and trying to get better, In the end, that is all you have control over. dean

mcanty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mcanty » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:38 pm

thanks guys....onward and upward

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:17 am

hi mcanty,basically everythings have been said already. I just might add that even if you sign a song to a publisher and get a few month later contacted from another company for the same song - simply let them kindly know that the original song is already under an agreement and send them something equal.that happened to me a few weeks ago - the second company signed not only my new track for them, but also the two others I sent them just keep producing, and produce on a high level - in this case you'll always have something to give if the time has come.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

dovetail
Active
Active

Post by dovetail » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 am

Generally 3 months to a year. But I recently signed a deal on a forward from 2 years ago.

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Ditto Dave!That pretty much sums it up. Best,Cisco