Question on exclusive deals

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Question on exclusive deals

Post by GuitarKit » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm

If I get a piece signed on an exclusive library deal, I assume that even if the library has not yet '' placed'' the track yet, I can't pitch that piece anywhere else. Yes?

What about my soundcloud account? Do I need to delete or turn that track to the private setting if that track gets signed to an exclusive library?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Question on exclusive deals

Post by hummingbird » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 am

Hi - if you sign a piece exclusively, then yes, that means you should not be pitching it anywhere else - it's already signed. However you could use it as a sample of your work for, say, people looking for custom composers. As for Soundcloud, that's probably okay but you'd want to read the fine print of your agreement. I think keeping a track on Soundcloud as a sample of your work might be ok, but YouTube may not. All just my opinion. I'm not a lawyer.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 am

+1 To what Vikki said.

I also am NOT a lawyer, but based on my experience and what I've seen from more successful members - it is not a problem to post your tracks on soundcloud even if they are signed exclusively. I've seen many veteran members post songs/instrumentals on soundcloud that I know are signed exclusively, and some even where the publisher owns the copyright.

However as Vikki said, sites like YouTube might be a problem because monetization is involved (and maybe some other factors I'm not aware of). However you may be able to work something out with your publisher. Many times in the agreement/contract there will be a section detailing how you are supposed to report any revenue that you acquire directly and how and when you need to give the publisher their half (or whatever their percentage is).

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:27 am

GuitarKit wrote:I assume that even if the library has not yet '' placed'' the track yet, I can't pitch that piece anywhere else. Yes?
In the movie script business, this is called 'development hell'--the library has the right to sit on your piece if it wants to.
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GuitarKit » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, the frustrating thing I have just discovered is, I had four pieces forwarded to and Exclusive library. I haven't received any signing paperwork from them yet.
So are they or are they not going to use my pieces. In the meantime, I probably can't pitch those pieces anywhere else, so they seem to be dead in the water. Has anyone faced this problem?

erynmichel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erynmichel » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:38 am

GuitarKit wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, the frustrating thing I have just discovered is, I had four pieces forwarded to and Exclusive library. I haven't received any signing paperwork from them yet.
So are they or are they not going to use my pieces. In the meantime, I probably can't pitch those pieces anywhere else, so they seem to be dead in the water. Has anyone faced this problem?
Hi Kit—follow up question: so were they just forwarded and you haven’t received any confirmation or contact from the library? If they haven’t contacted you, you can absolutely pitch those pieces elsewhere—it’s just a gamble and a choice if two libraries want the same piece(s). That’s my understanding, but I hope others will weigh in if they’ve experienced differently, but the general wisdom seems to be to keep submitting until a contract is signed.

If you have received contact from the library, perhaps the delay is just due to the holidays. A polite follow up (only if they’ve contacted you first) would seem to be appropriate.

Bonne chance!
Eryn

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Until a deal is signed, I'm sure you can continue shopping around the tunes. At worst the library the music was forwarded might be irritated...
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GuitarKit » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:39 am

Hi Eryn.
I can see that my initial question was a bit misleading. The four pieces were only forwarded to the library, but not yet signed as no contracts have been sent yet.
So they haven't contacted me at all with any contracts. I don't know who the library is because the Taxi listing just statted:

ACOUSTIC-based SINGER/SONGWRITER INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a great Music Library with a long, long list of TV, Film, and Commercial placements.

I put the question through to a Taxi staff member. They said that it is up to the Library to contact me whenever. They didn't clarify if I could keep pitching the pieces or not.

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:48 am

GuitarKit wrote:Hi Eryn.
I can see that my initial question was a bit misleading. The four pieces were only forwarded to the library, but not yet signed as no contracts have been sent yet.
So they haven't contacted me at all with any contracts. I don't know who the library is because the Taxi listing just statted:

ACOUSTIC-based SINGER/SONGWRITER INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a great Music Library with a long, long list of TV, Film, and Commercial placements.

I put the question through to a Taxi staff member. They said that it is up to the Library to contact me whenever. They didn't clarify if I could keep pitching the pieces or not.
Pitch away. Even if you've pitched to an exclusive listing, nothing is signed and deals are rare (and much less common than forwards). If you end up signing it elsewhere and they do get back to you, you can always write them something else in the same vein. I don't think any publisher has the expectation that you'll "hold" something without a deal of some sort on the table
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

erynmichel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erynmichel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:10 pm

annayarbrough wrote:
Pitch away. Even if you've pitched to an exclusive listing, nothing is signed and deals are rare (and much less common than forwards). If you end up signing it elsewhere and they do get back to you, you can always write them something else in the same vein. I don't think any publisher has the expectation that you'll "hold" something without a deal of some sort on the table
+1!