Question on licensing language in listings

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

writeontime

Question on licensing language in listings

Post by writeontime » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 pm

When a listing states that submitted songs cannot be covered under any exclusive or non-exclusive license with another entity (such as S120816IN), does that mean tracks I am selling on iTunes or cdbaby or Amazon etc. could not be submitted? Thanks. I really need clarification on this.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Question on licensing language in listings

Post by Casey H » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:17 am

writeontime wrote:When a listing states that submitted songs cannot be covered under any exclusive or non-exclusive license with another entity (such as S120816IN), does that mean tracks I am selling on iTunes or cdbaby or Amazon etc. could not be submitted? Thanks. I really need clarification on this.
Although it can vary, **most** of the time they are only referring to other music libraries and possibly licensing agents. They don't want to be competing with other parties pitching for FILM/TV such that music sups get the same track from multiple sources. Artist CD & download sales usually don't confict with this.

So, if your tunes are not in other music libraries or signed with film/TV licensing agents, I'd submit. However, should you get a deal offer, read the contract very carefully and discuss this with the listing party (if not spelled out on the contract). Possibly review the contract with a qualified music attorney.

HTH
:geek: :D Casey

writeontime

Re: Question on licensing language in listings

Post by writeontime » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks, Casey. Just what I needed to know.