Question on Production Quality

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GuitarGary

Question on Production Quality

Post by GuitarGary » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi All,
I'm not sure where I'm missing the mark on production quality, but I got a no-go from Taxi on this submission. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on how and where I can improve, I would appreciate your input. Thank you!
Here's the Taxi listing...
("Here Comes The Sun" - Beatles cover)
https://www.taxi.com/listings/S200625CV

Here's my version of the song....
https://soundcloud.com/user-44216925/here-comes-the-sun

Thanks again,
Gary Nobile
Gary Nobile, San Jose, CA
https://soundcloud.com/user-44216925

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question on Production Quality

Post by AlanHall » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm

One thing I notice - for a song that is a pretty faithful cover of the original it seems odd that the characteristic lick at the top of the piece should be modified the way it is. Almost makes me think it's NOT going to be the song I expect when the vocals enter. Does that make sense?

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm

The strumming and picking at the start doesn't lay a real solid foundation. It feels hesitant and would be more definite if the D chord was hit on the downbeat. Consider using a rhythm and a picking track.

The high guitar notes are harsh to my ears and need taming with EQ and compression. Compression on acoustic guitar is tricky but an 1176 style [fast attack and fast release] in front of an LA2A can work.

Maybe push the guitar out to the sides when the vocals come in.

The vocals could do with some tuning and timing alignment to get them in the pocket.

You've got a good product it just needs the work put in and attention to detail to polish it up.

JohnDroese
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JohnDroese » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:13 am

Hi Gary nice version of a classic! My two cents for what it's worth
1. The vocals sound boxy too much room tone.... I would also like to hear them with a little more reverb so it sits inn the track not on the track.... use Melodyne to tune your vocals very easy to do and it will be the best$99 you spend that said your pitch is very good
2. The 12 string or effect that comes in on the bridge I would either use that the whole time or not at all
3. A wider stereo spread of the acoustics would open the track up a lot remember this is being done to enhance a visual scene not as the focus of attention
4. If I had to bet as to why they said this is not broadcast quality I would say it was the vocals for the reasons I mentioned
5. timing is good but still a little more groove would go a long way. I want it to make my head bop the way it was played so straight just didn't

The good news is you are right there just a few tweaks will get you over the hump your skills are on point Great guitar playing, nice voice, good production skills

Best of luck, John

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:36 am

I thought it was a reasonable attempt, you got some good pointers from the other posters.

My main issue was what Alan said about the main lick being changed like that..it makes it sound like you did it by mistake somehow.

If you want to reference a non-Beatles version that's been recorded recently then check out the version from the Movie Yesterday by Himesh Patel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLWsxfYtw9g

GuitarGary

Post by GuitarGary » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 am

Dear Alan, Lester, John, & Cosmic,
Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate you sharing your expertise and meaningful feedback. I can tell you are all a bit further down the path than I. Learning from you, who are obviously better at this than me, is a real treat for me as I'm just getting my feet wet with production. Thanks again Alan, Lester, John & Cosmic. You've been a tremendous help.
Stay Safe, Be Well, Create,
-Gary Nobile

TZoellner

Post by TZoellner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:52 am

Good version ! My 2 cents - I would double track most all elements and add a tad of ambience (reverb) to open it up a bit. Try panning the doubled guitars L & R for some width. What they might mean is that it could be spiced up a tad with some production elements....

GuitarGary

Post by GuitarGary » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Thank you TZ!

Thedude4774

Post by Thedude4774 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi! I'm not as good at production as you are, it sounds really good! But, from just a layperson's ears, I agree with what the others said about changing the opening riff back so it is like the original. Also, I think it would help to add some ear-candy, just little touches on the peripheries of the stereo field to fill out the sound and add interest throughout. Adding some really subtle but tasteful little accompaniments, like maybe a quiet keyboard or strings or chimes, or something like that that enters on the second verse, and then maybe add in something else on the second chorus, or things like that might help make it more engaging the whole way through. Or even just having a bass and percussion come in starting with the second verse. But you're really doing a good job. You sound great!