Question on return piano?strings

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ballereau
Active
Active

Question on return piano?strings

Post by ballereau » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:39 am

https://www.taxi.com/members/8khlvMr3S8 ... -beginning

Got a return with the following: What I like most about this song --opening piano lick. Good positive vibe.
I think you could improve this song by
The issue here is that you've gone beyond the client request for only featuring "Piano and Strings as their only instrumentation.
I returned or forwarded this song because
I like the big full sound in the middle but we've got to stick with the specific requests from the client.

The only instruments used were piano and strings. Anyone know what he means?
One of the examples had full strings.

Thoughts

Thanks

Larry

Hauschild

Re: Question on return piano?strings

Post by Hauschild » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:57 am

Hi Larry,

That is a beautiful piece of music! Well done!
Was this for listing S220216US?

Best regards,
Andreas

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:59 pm

Hmmmm... I wonder if the screener mistook some piano bass notes for a bass. Worth an email to headscreener AT taxi DOT com. I can't say if the track was forward worthy outside of that since you didn't post the listing text. Also I don't have the best ears for how realistic instruments sound, mix stuff, etc. This sounds very pretty but I wonder if they wanted more piano with light strings accompaniment-- the strings are very upfront in much of this. Let's see the listing text.

Good luck! :D
Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:19 pm

I only hear piano and strings so I have no idea what the screener thought they heard

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:46 am

From the feedback I get the impression that the screener considered the amount of strings to be inappropriate....
....the "big full sound in the middle".

Did the listing asked for a small string section, or did the ref tracks contain just light strings or maybe just a single instrument (as Casey is suggesting)? Although it is only strings and piano it might still not be what was asked for or what was wanted.

Regardless of whether it works for this listing or not, I think its a lovely piece (I'm a sucker for lydian :)) and I'm certain it will find a home somewhere. Good luck for a deal on it soon.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

ballereau
Active
Active

Post by ballereau » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:42 am

Thanks everyone.
I just wish that the feedback was on point all the time. The reference had full strings. But that being said just looking for clarity.
And everyone has there view and the screener is just doing what they think they hear!

thanks everyone

Larry

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:11 am

ballereau wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:42 am
Thanks everyone.
I just wish that the feedback was on point all the time. The reference had full strings. But that being said just looking for clarity.
And everyone has there view and the screener is just doing what they think they hear!

thanks everyone

Larry
But there's nothing wrong with contacting Taxi is you think the screener's comments were off the mark or unclear. It most likely won't change the result but it's important that they get the feedback. You still didn't post the actual listing text which makes it a little harder to comment on other than the screener being wrong as to other instruments being in the mix.

Best,
Casey

ballereau
Active
Active

Post by ballereau » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Hi ,
this was for #S220216US

Thanks

Larry

Hauschild

Post by Hauschild » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:27 pm

ballereau wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:10 pm
Hi ,
this was for #S220216US

Thanks

Larry
I thought so ;)
Thanks for confirming, as you saw from my post I had a similar experience with this listing. I have elaborated more on my feedback over in that thread if that is of interest :)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi Larry
I found the listing text. While the screener was wrong to say there were instruments beyond piano and strings, there were key clues in the listing and the ref tracks.
TAXI Tip: We suggest trying to keep your submissions on the simpler side, melodically. Your job is more about establishing an uplifting mood rather than winning "Composer of the Year"!
This was further emphasized by the first reference track: https://youtu.be/CU7hbcuqev4 . Your track is quite nice but pretty intense in the middle on the strings and much more melodic with them.

PS: In the future, please post the listing text, not just the listing number. Otherwise folks here who are trying to be helpful have to go hunt it down. :D

Keep on writing! Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat.

:D Casey

UPLIFTING PIANO & STRINGS INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a NEW International Music Licensing Company started by highly experienced, successful founders!

TAXI TIP: This is a hot new Library that's BRAND NEW to requesting music through TAXI, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet! This company is all about "new, fresh music," so this is a great opportunity to get in first and create a new outlet for your music and begin a new relationship with an awesome new company!

This Company is searching for Instrumentals and/or Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references:

"Just A Little Hope" by Adi Goldstein

"Far Away" by Elena Fallwell

"Awatere" by Ensemble Rivr Dane

Please submit well-composed Instrumentals (or Cues) that feature Piano and Strings as their only instrumentation to create an overall positive, uplifting vibe and sound. Your submissions should have captivating melodies, solid arrangements, and excellent musicianship. If you plan on using any virtual instruments, they need to be high-quality, modern, and sound like the real thing as nothing stiff or obviously MIDI-driven will work, here. Your production should be polished and contemporary, as well.

TAXI Tip: We suggest trying to keep your submissions on the simpler side, melodically. Your job is more about establishing an uplifting mood rather than winning "Composer of the Year"!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Company offers an Exclusive deal, and has a strong preference for signing material from songwriters who have worked for libraries and licensing companies in the past and understand how standard deals work. If you don't have that experience and you don't know the drill on typical deals, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

All submissions should be at least 1:45 minutes long and no longer than 2:45 minutes, with non-faded, buttoned endings. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumentals and/or Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Wednesday, February 16th, 2022. TAXI # S220216US