Question regarding Vocal Tracks

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question regarding Vocal Tracks

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu May 30, 2019 3:18 pm

No...they could care less who is singing or playing.
You don't have to show them anything.
I gotta disagree with my man Tim on this one (first time for everything, right? haha). I have had a few libraries reach out to me in the past looking for WFH agreements on vocal songs where it was obvious I wasn't the singer, and was claiming 100% ownership. I've never claimed to be a good singer, much less a female singer, lol. So it was clear I had someone else doing the vocals for me.

In those cases though, I had signed WFH agreements that specifically showed that they were paid a flat-fee for the performance of my lyrics & melodies, and would relinquish all claims to ownership. I customized this WFH agreement from one of Robin Fredrick's books. I sent the library a copy of the form, and from there was cleared to sign the deal.

In a lot of cases, you can probably get away with not having anything, but it's better to err on the side of caution.

And, like Johnny said (and anyone who has ever been divorced can attest to), things can get contentious in a hurry if things go south with the relationship. Not saying your marriage is anything but perfect, but.... well.... there's a reason I'll never get married without a prenup!

~~Matt

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri May 31, 2019 8:22 am

That darn Matt....always stirring up trouble!!!!
And dejected..... I limp back to my corner.....

My 1 cent worth,
Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 am

HA!! Too funny, Tim!!

Oh, and Andrew, I didn't actually get to your initial question of whether or not your wife should sign up for a PRO. As others have said, YES. It'll ensure a nice paper trail and the registration of ownership will be clean giving her a percentage of the royalties, and she can get paid from the PRO itself, and she can start working with other people in exchange for a percentage of ownership rather than always doing work-for-hires.

~~Matt

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 am
Oh, and Andrew, I didn't actually get to your initial question of whether or not your wife should sign up for a PRO. As others have said, YES. It'll ensure a nice paper trail and the registration of ownership will be clean giving her a percentage of the royalties, and she can get paid from the PRO itself, and she can start working with other people in exchange for a percentage of ownership rather than always doing work-for-hires.
Makes total sense. Thank you, sir!

Andrew

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri May 31, 2019 11:04 am

Ok...that did it....now I'm mad....gonna give it to ya with both barrels!

My friend often uses the entire London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir to record tracks... well over 100 members.
And not once was he asked if that was him singing.... bam!! pow!!! ...take that!!!!
Of course..he does have a nice voice... so.....

My over 100 cents worth..... that's over a dollar!

Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri May 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Ok...that did it....now I'm mad....gonna give it to ya with both barrels!

My friend often uses the entire London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir to record tracks... well over 100 members.
And not once was he asked if that was him singing.... bam!! pow!!! ...take that!!!!
Of course..he does have a nice voice... so.....
You know what? It's probably my email signature line that says "Matt Vander Boegh - Horrible Singer" that is kinda the giveaway that I don't do my own vocals. And that part right underneath that that says "I'll steal your vocals". Maybe I should re-think that signature. HA!

But seriously, you're right, Tim. I've never been questioned about instrumental parts.... nobody has ever said, "I'll need to see a WFH from that guitarist". Only on questions of lead vocals have I ever been asked for paperwork.

Well, you've certainly gotten some good contradictory insight in this here thread, Andrew. Compile it all, and figure out the best course of action as you see fit!

~Matt
Horrible Singer
I'll steal your vocals

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri May 31, 2019 2:15 pm

Don't worry Matt....I can almost guarantee your vocals are better than mine.

Seems even with autotuned (on full blast).... I see the word ...'pitchy' a lot in any comments about my vocals.

My pitchy 2 cents,
Tim