Question ?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

longrider
Active
Active

Question ?

Post by longrider » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:40 am

Howdy all I was going through the listing and I notice that some times they put request in like (a la Incubus, the White Stripes, Green Day, Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, etc.) Are they looking for music to sound like these bands or are they saying they permote these bands ? I think I could have a song or two for them but it not going to sound like any of these bands. I think it is like Dave said in one of his comments. " try to understand what the listing is asking for". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tim

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question ?

Post by gitarrero » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:34 am

it think the bands that are mentioned in the listings shall simply show you the direction / musical genre which is requested.
production, composition & stringed instruments

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Quote:Howdy all I was going through the listing and I notice that some times they put request in like (a la Incubus, the White Stripes, Green Day, Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, etc.) Are they looking for music to sound like these bands or are they saying they permote these bands ? I think I could have a song or two for them but it not going to sound like any of these bands. I think it is like Dave said in one of his comments. " try to understand what the listing is asking for". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tim Hey Tim,I think of the "a la" stuff in this way: If they had an unlimited budget they'd license the music directly from these "a la's". But they don't have an unlimited budget and they want the next best thing. The next best thing is us doing or having music available in the same sound and style as the a la's. Sometimes it's obvious how the a la's relate to each other. Sometimes it's not so obvious and it takes a little Taxi forum discussion to make sense of it. The listing contains only as much information as the listing client provides and listing clients don't always say things that make sense. HTH,Dave

longrider
Active
Active

Another question ?

Post by longrider » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:33 pm

When a listing ask for ( Broadcast quality needed ), and they do not put in the listing ( Home recording OK ). Is it safe to say that my home studio music would be a waste of time to try to create for this listing ? Or any other listing that doesn't say ( Home recording OK )?By the way, What is Broadcast quality anyway ?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:40 pm

Quote:When a listing ask for ( Broadcast quality needed ), and they do not put in the listing ( Home recording OK ). Is it safe to say that my home studio music would be a waste of time to try to create for this listing ? Or any other listing that doesn't say ( Home recording OK )?By the way, What is Broadcast quality anyway ?Taxi says: "Are my home recordings good enough, or do I need a "pro" studio recording? Home recordings get placed in films and TV all the time. The instrumental and vocal performances must be good, and the recording quality needs to be reasonably clean, but you don't need 48 tracks and a live string section at the Record Plant to get your song placed."I think that mean, well-recorded, clean tracks that are properly mixed and mastered. But the experts here may have more to say on it
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Link: Vikki Flawith Music
Link: For the 'Shy Singer'
Link: The Shy Songwriter's Blog

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:48 pm

Quote:When a listing ask for ( Broadcast quality needed ), and they do not put in the listing ( Home recording OK ). Is it safe to say that my home studio music would be a waste of time to try to create for this listing ? Or any other listing that doesn't say ( Home recording OK )?By the way, What is Broadcast quality anyway ?These differences between "home quality" and "broadcast quality" had more meaning when there was ALWAYS a difference between what you could do at home (with a Teac two-track reel-to-reel) and what could be done at a professional studio. Now the lines are blurred in terms of the differences between the two because many times the home studio musician is using the same "stuff" as the pro studio (like ProTools, Sonar, Logic or whatever).FWIW, when I see "home demo quality" or whatever in the listings, I see that as generally "almost anything goes". Just giving a couple of your tunes a quick listen (the first minute or so), I think you're safely beyond "home demo quality". The only real way you can find out the answer to your question from Taxi's point of view is to submit music to a few of those "broadcast quality" listings (making sure that you're going to get a critique so you know what's what). I understand being a little gunshy for some of this stuff but the screeners are there specifically to help us see where we are and what we need to do to improve and move forward. Another option is to send a little bit of music to Taxi for a custom critique and ask them to evaluate a few songs in terms of their "broadcast quality". This whole thing we're talking about here is one of the reasons why I joined Taxi. HTH,Dave

longrider
Active
Active

Post by longrider » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:04 pm

I was going through the listings and found about 6 of them I'm going to work and it seem that I might have a song that would fit a couple of these listings so I got a question or two.If you submit a song and Taxi forward it, can you submit the same song to another listing, or do you have to wait to see if they use it for a film or TV?If I can't submit it again in another listing is there a time frame to where I can safely re-submit the song in another listing?Also dose Taxi ever hear a song that might fit in another listing other then the one that you submit and let you know about it so you can go ahead and submit it in to that listing ?I often read about reviews that seem to be put in the wrong listing.Sorry if these questions seem to sound dumb, but I am vary serious about doing this right.Thanks all of you for the help.Tim

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Quote:If you submit a song and Taxi forward it, can you submit the same song to another listing, or do you have to wait to see if they use it for a film or TV?Yes, you can submit to as many listings as you want even if you get forwarded.Quote:Also dose Taxi ever hear a song that might fit in another listing other then the one that you submit and let you know about it so you can go ahead and submit it in to that listing ?Not that I have observed.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:33 am

Quote:If you submit a song and Taxi forward it, can you submit the same song to another listing, or do you have to wait to see if they use it for a film or TV?I always kid around and say "you're thinking like a musician, not a publisher/promoter". Until somone sends you a contract that says "exclusive" for a particular track or tracks, send your music to everyone and everybody. Quote:Also dose Taxi ever hear a song that might fit in another listing other then the one that you submit and let you know about it so you can go ahead and submit it in to that listing ?No, that's kind of a personal responsibility thing. Inside and outside of Taxi, we're expected to pay attention to the details of listings and music requests and to know where our music fits, in general and in relation to each listing or request. I try to think like that one listing is the only listing in the world and so I have to get it right the first time. HTH,Dave