Questions about what I think is film/tv-able music

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

clonsberry
Impressive
Impressive

Questions about what I think is film/tv-able music

Post by clonsberry » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:32 pm

I watched Matt and Michael's video clips earlier today. It's always a motivation when you see normal (though very talented) people being successful and still being normal people.I'm certainly not above reaching for libraries and I think I have a ton of music that's suitable. I have a lot of acoustic guitar so that part really sparked my interest. If there's such a need, I should have an "in" right? I also have a lot of electronic stuff. (Yeah, I have songs too but that's not what I'm talking about right now.) My task, I think, is to connect the pieces of the puzzle. To somehow connect surplus of music to the need.. thru the tunnel that is the Taxi process.I'm still a newbie so I haven't seen a lot of listings yet but I haven't seen any that this music fits into. Could someone maybe take a listen to a coupla cuts and tell me what they think? Where could they fit? What should I be looking for in a listing for this music? Is this, indeed, the kind of music that there's a need for? (Especially, Saga. It's one of my favorites but I have NO idea what category it would fit in or what type of listing I'd submit it to)The three cuts I'd like you to drop in on are A Little Boy's World, She Smiles In The Morning and Saga.Have some of you "more experienced" members seen listings for this kinda stuff? I guess one thing I'm wondering is if I just need to be patient and wait for the listing?.. or if I'm not reading the listings right and missing some opportunity?.. or if I'm not going to play this part of the game until I change what I'm writing.The tracks are up there on: http://www.taxi.com/clonsberryThank you very much in advance for your input and direction. I bow to your wisdom.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Questions about what I think is film/tv-able m

Post by davewalton » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:45 am

Hey Chris,A Little Boy's WorldThis is a very good song. Since film/tv music is used as support or to create a mood for something, having empty space that lasts more than a beat or two probably isn't a good idea. Changing moods or styles within a song probably isn't recommended either. Only two things stuck out. First, I would eliminate the "intro" and the empty space that follows it and "get to it" by starting the track at the 0:15 mark. Music supervisors and/or editors don't want to have to find the main section of the song. They want to drop the track in and have it work right away. I was reminded recently of the principle of "get to it right away" and I got a foward where I probably wouldn't have if I had kept my original version, waiting until I was 20 or 30 seconds into it before I delivered the goods. Second, and this may be subjective, but it sounded a little too "wet" to my ears (but I'm listening on headphones). Not much but I felt that it would have a better sound overall if there wasn't so much ambience. The headphones sometimes give false impressions so definitely take that with a grain of salt.SagaI'll post more on this subject based on my experience on my little Taxi trip, but Film/TV is very focused on quality of sounds and instrumentation. Your "strings" are something that would hold this track back. Overall, the track doesn't have a particularly modern sound but that's OK for certain things. Any library accepting tracks in this style would probably pass because of the strings. That's not a "music thing" just a budget item but it's extremely important. Even changing from a "string" sound to maybe a warm synthesized sound would work. Whatever it is, it needs to sound as warm and good as the rest of the instruments.She Smiles In The MorningThis is what I was talking about when I mentioned "get to it". It's the perfect example of starting right away and carrying the feel throughout the song. It doesn't need to be 4+ minutes long but other than that it's a very good "solo" guitar (guitar duet really).You're talented both as a composer and as a player. Plus, you're the second funniest guy on the boards. DavePS - I only do instrumentals so I generally skip commenting on anything with vocals since I don't know anything about lyrics, etc.

clonsberry
Impressive
Impressive

Post by clonsberry » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:03 am

Dave, thank you very much for your reply.. and your kinds words.It sounds like I'm on the right track and I'm assuming that I can, at some point, expect to see a listing that says "Looking for acoustic guitar music" or something similarly specific. I don't mind being patient and honing the music.. "standing in the rain" waiting for the Taxi (to use multiple metaphors). I just want to make sure I'm waiting on the right block and know what a Taxi's gonna look like when it comes by.Since those tracks were originally meant for the CD, they tend to be a little longer. I wasn't thinking at all about 2 minute or so tracks. And.. most of them tend to have intros and such. I'll have to go back and listen to them with the "get to it" rule. As far as being wet, I can see that. I'm trying to track down the masters to pull some of that out.Again.. thank you!

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:47 am

I liked Saga and agree with the comments Dave made about the string sound.Little Boy's World is good and, in my "relatively new Taxi experience" point of view, I would get close the gap between the strum and picking, and I think it sounded a little heavy (wet, full ....) as Dave mentioned but I didn't find it distracting. I just felt it didn't let your picking shine as much as I think it would otherwise (listening on Yamaha NS10s). She Smiles In the Morning - nice nice nice. This is one I would like to keep in my personal play list. Glad to meet you Chris, and welcome to Taxi !Anne

vhee

Post by vhee » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:40 pm

on Saga, I would certainly like to here some violin spicatto in there. You might want to try to find a VSTi called " Edirol HQ-OR Orchestral Software Synth"I have this and its very very good string sound recorded from actual orchestration.[[ The Orchestral Plug-In Software Synthesizer Orchestral provides premium acoustic sounds, focusing on Strings, Wood winds, and Brass winds, as well as Percussion and Keyboards. These high quality samples include realistic articulations such as vibrato, spiccato, pizzicato, and tremolo. Using ample wave memory, Strings/Brass winds tones are selectable from solo, part section, and full section, making this ideal for the composition of contemporary music, sound tracks, and marching bands. The premium sounds in this synthesizer are perfectly combined for lush soundtracks and beautiful orchestral arrangements]]