Quick Question

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Perono

Quick Question

Post by Perono » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:05 am

Hey! Hope you all are having a good day.

Taxi is new to me. I registered 2 weeks ago so I just wanted a quick handout.

I am planning to submit 3 to 4 songs in a week to the briefs that are the most fitting to my Niche. Lets say in a perfect world they all are forward guaranteed. Will that be enough to maximize my success or do I need to do more?

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Quick Question

Post by BradGray » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:27 pm

Hey Perono - welcome!

For the record, I'm just another passenger on this ride, trying to figure it all out. Here's what I've learned through some fantastic rejection:

1) Make sure you're reading the brief's, and your music is nailing what they're looking for in the references. Good music, mismatched to the references will get it rejected.
2) Make sure the mix and production also is on par with the references.
3) Read the listing again, make sure you're capturing the mood, feel and sound of what they're looking for.

Good luck!
B

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:47 pm

Short answer to your main question: No.

:)

But, we need to understand how you define success. Lots of threads are in this forum aboutr how often to submit, how long does the process take, how do I make mone at this, etc.

Let's assume perfection and four tracks get forwarded. This means that a music ilbrary will receive your tracks along with other forwards. What happens next depends on the goals of the project. Is the library creating an album of a certain genre to shop to its clients, or is it trying to fit a specific request for a specific show? Let's assume the latter... so what happens next? That music supervisor reviews the tracks received by the library and then selects a certain number of those tracks for whatever the project is. Let's assume it is a tv show. The show will eventually air, then a few months later the tracks used will be reported to the PROs, and then several months later royalties will be paid. How much will you make? It depends on so many things... but it first requires that your tracks were used in the first place.

Generally speaking it could easily take a full year before you see any income from those tracks, again, assuming they get placed into a show. How much money depends on time of day, length of the play, which network, etc. You might make $40, you might make $400. It's a huge mystery and entirely unpredictable.

So, what are your goals, why are you submitting? Why did you join Taxi? Figure that out, then do the math to figure out how to achieve "success" as you define it. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:41 pm

Perono wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:05 am

I am planning to submit 3 to 4 songs in a week to the briefs that are the most fitting to my Niche. Lets say in a perfect world they all are forward guaranteed. Will that be enough to maximize my success or do I need to do more?
In a perfect world, If those 3-4 forwarded songs are going to beyonce, then yes...you're set for life

In an imperfect world, well...its long winded

wish you luck on your journey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:01 am

boinkeee2000 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:41 pm
In a perfect world, If those 3-4 forwarded songs are going to beyonce, then yes...you're set for life
Mine go right to Taylor Swift. :lol: :lol:

Casey

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:01 am
boinkeee2000 wrote:

Casey
I dont even know why you need taxi Casey, when you have Ms Swifts cel no

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:16 pm

boinkeee2000 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 pm
Casey H wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:01 am
boinkeee2000 wrote:

Casey
I dont even know why you need taxi Casey, when you have Ms Swifts cel no
She keeps changing her cell number! She changes it every time she has a break up with a boyfriend so it's VERY frequent! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Casey H on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:45 pm

If the 3 tracks are forwarded, they will probably end up on an album on the library's website and be available to music supervisors, editors, show runners, etc... Be aware that your tracks will be 3 of 3000, 30,000, or 300,000 depending on how big the library is. It could be years before they get used for anything, but you might get lucky and get a placement right away. Even then, it takes up to 9 months to get paid from a placement. When you finally get paid, don't expect to quit your day job. Like others before me, the first one is always a bit of a shock: $3.03 for 17 seconds of background music on Real Housewives. Yup, you read that right. So, no...3 tracks signed is not enough for success. Now if you have 300 signed tracks out there, things will begin to happen. And when you have 3000 signed tracks, then you can finally quit your day job. Good luck!!!

It's not all bad news. That $3.03 is now X10, because of reruns, and if it goes into syndication or picked up by sister networks in other countries, it could be X100 or even X1000 over the course of 10-15 years. So, $3000 for 17 seconds of music is not bad at all. Imagine if you had 1000 tracks out there capable of the same thing = $3,000,000 This is why people call this a numbers game or even a marathon. It's not easy, and it's not quick. Put in the consistent work and produce quality music for the next 10-15 years, partner with the right libraries, and this path can be very lucrative. You are gonna need more than 3 tracks though. ;-)

Jeff

Perono

Post by Perono » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:40 pm

BradGray wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:27 pm
Hey Perono - welcome!

For the record, I'm just another passenger on this ride, trying to figure it all out. Here's what I've learned through some fantastic rejection:

1) Make sure you're reading the brief's, and your music is nailing what they're looking for in the references. Good music, mismatched to the references will get it rejected.
2) Make sure the mix and production also is on par with the references.
3) Read the listing again, make sure you're capturing the mood, feel and sound of what they're looking for.

Good luck!
B

Lool.. Hold on.. I mean 3 to 4 songs per weeks
Also. Thank you for the welcoming
Last edited by Perono on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perono

Post by Perono » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:40 pm

boinkeee2000 wrote:
Perono wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:05 am

In an imperfect world, well...its long winded

wish you luck on your journey

I think I said it wrong.. Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I meant 3 to 4 songs per weeks
Last edited by Perono on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.