Quick Taxi reality check 2022

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Quick Taxi reality check 2022

Post by melodea » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:28 am

In 2022 (my second year with Taxi and production music)

I submitted 94 tracks.

35 got forwarded from 26 listings (37% forward rate)

from the 26 listings (I received forwards from), TWO companies contacted me.

Funny fact: the two companies that got back to me I already had a relationship with and they both had signed some of my tracks in 2021.

The sobering fact: in 2022 my 35 forwards in 26 listings resulted in ZERO NEW contacts,

whereas in 2021 my 67 forwards (47% forward rate) resulted in SIX NEW contacts from which 3 turned out to be stable working relationships, 1 wasn't a fit, 1 went to ghost mode and one is hard to reach and it's unclear what's going on.

Having said all that, my message is, that it's true that you have to be in for a looooong game and that there are good and less good years on the surface because you never know what these forwards that created no response will do in the background for you in the near or far future.

So, I will definitely renew my Taxi membership.

The challenge will be, to balance the work from existing relationships with libraries and writing new material for Taxi listings.

I am grateful to have had an outstanding 2021 which provided me with excellent relationships and even more exciting opportunities to write for a lot of upcoming albums.

So THANK YOU TAXI and I will endure the less outstanding years that will surely come whether I like it or not!

Chris
Last edited by melodea on Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Quick reality check 2022

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:08 am

I found a few things in common amongst my most productive libraries :

1 - They respond quickly i.e. next working day to any messages

2 - They have good systems for ingesting music - some sort of dashboard/platform for the writers to use that automates a lot of stuff rather than relying on emails

3 - They regularly post on social media about placements and new album releases etc

4 - I have a dedcated contact / A&R person and I get notified when one of my tracks is released

5 - I see Tunesat activity within a short period of the tracks release ..i.e. a couple of months ( not years )

YMMV but those are green flags for me , red ones are the opposite of the above.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Quick reality check 2022

Post by melodea » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:57 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:08 am
I found a few things in common amongst my most productive libraries :

1 - They respond quickly i.e. next working day to any messages

2 - They have good systems for ingesting music - some sort of dashboard/platform for the writers to use that automates a lot of stuff rather than relying on emails

3 - They regularly post on social media about placements and new album releases etc

4 - I have a dedcated contact / A&R person and I get notified when one of my tracks is released

5 - I see Tunesat activity within a short period of the tracks release ..i.e. a couple of months ( not years )

YMMV but those are green flags for me , red ones are the opposite of the above.
Thanks, Marc for sharing! Perfectly summarized!

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Quick Taxi reality check 2022

Post by OwenGrech » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:29 am

It is indeed a loooong road and I admit, despite being positive sometimes I find it very hard to hang in there especially after seeing such results from someone whose work I admire greatly. Not TAXI's fault of course but the state of the industry in general I suppose. The lack of uncertain financial reward for the hours of completed work is something that I tend to struggle with.

I really wish you the best of luck Chris as that is all you need at this point since the quality and quantity of your work seem to be in order.

PaulyB
Active
Active

Post by PaulyB » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:56 am

I submitted 94 tracks....35 got forwarded...two companies contacted me.
Hey Chris - have you, or do you plan to, initiate contact with various libraries to find a home for the 59 cues that were returned (as well as any forwards that weren't signed)? By the way, I listed to some of your cues. It sounds like you're consistenly doing fine work.

Best,
Paul

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:55 pm

OwenGrech wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:29 am
It is indeed a loooong road and I admit, despite being positive sometimes I find it very hard to hang in there especially after seeing such results from someone whose work I admire greatly. Not TAXI's fault of course but the state of the industry in general I suppose. The lack of uncertain financial reward for the hours of completed work is something that I tend to struggle with.

I really wish you the best of luck Chris as that is all you need at this point since the quality and quantity of your work seem to be in order.
Tanks so much for your kind words Owen! Appreciate it, man. I also wish you the best of luck and tons of patience!

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:00 pm

PaulyB wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:56 am
I submitted 94 tracks....35 got forwarded...two companies contacted me.
Hey Chris - have you, or do you plan to, initiate contact with various libraries to find a home for the 59 cues that were returned (as well as any forwards that weren't signed)? By the way, I listed to some of your cues. It sounds like you're consistenly doing fine work.

Best,
Paul
Hi Paul, first thanks so much for the kind words, and second yes I'm constantly looking for homes for my cues. Luckily the libraries I'm working with are so kind to receive my returned submissions with open arms (after some tweaks to fit them into an album concept)! I still have a fair amount of tracks that are unsigned and as soon as I see an opportunity I'll pitch them! Best of luck with your music!

Chris