R.I.P. Paul Newman :'(

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

R.I.P. Paul Newman :'(

Post by allends » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:19 am

OK, so he wasn't a musician, but he was a great entertainer in his field and he was a remarkable human being!Many of us would be hard pressed to be even half as good a person that he was. That's one of my new goals in life starting today!Good Bye Paul Newman! -Allen

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: R.I.P. Paul Newman :'(

Post by ernstinen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:13 am

Sept 27, 2008, 7:19am, allends wrote:OK, so he wasn't a musician, but he was a great entertainer in his field and he was a remarkable human being!Many of us would be hard pressed to be even half as good a person that he was. That's one of my new goals in life starting today!Good Bye Paul Newman! -AllenBummer! I hadn't heard that. Must've happened late last night, because it's not in today's L.A. Times. --- Does anyone know what kind of cancer it was?"Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" is one of the best movies ever made.R.I.P. Mr. Newman!Ern

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:21 am

I LOVED 'ole blue eyes. He will be missed greatly. My favorite movie of Paul's was "The Verdict."

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:24 am

Soooo sad-- I just saw you post, Allen... I hadn't known (guess I don't watch enough of the TV), and I'm so sad for it. Folks used to tell my dad he looked like him back in the days, and I've always admired his career and work in the world. Too bad for us all. He was a sweetie.
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:47 am

It seems like all the good ones are leaving us. I met Paul a couple of times in the '70's. He once - jokingly - threatened to shoot me for phoning his house too late in the evening. His daughter and I were students at Bennington College in Vermont. We both lived in Connecticut and sometimes she would drive me to her house in Westport where my parents (in a car packed with relatives) would pick me up and take me home to New Haven. Paul and his wife were down to earth normal people, always friendly and gracious. Very sad to hear he's gone.Richard

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:38 pm

I always hate to hear of the death of another great one. His favorite performance of mine was in "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. " I always loved those big screen adaptations of Tennessee Williams anyway. If it had been Redford passing instead, I would have noted that my favorite performance of his was in "This Property Is Condemned," another Williams work.R.I.P. Paully.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:56 pm

I loved him in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I loved that he raced cars, that he married Joanne, that he wasn't too vain, that his work was always expemplary and that he continued to support the arts. What a man. Allen, thanks for posting this.

kurtkreimier
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kurtkreimier » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 am

This was indeed very sad news. He was not only a great actor but also a compassionate, generous and upright man. I agree Richard that we have lost some very good ones over the last 5 to 10 years. It must have been nice to have met him. This is not to say there are not still great creative actors out there, but unfortunately we do not see them often enough. I also thought "The Verdict" was probably his greatest role. He did an excellent job portraying a very complex and troubled man. More recently I also liked him in "Message In A Bottle" with Kevin Costner.

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:22 am

Favorite Paul Newman movie - Cool Hand Luke!Except for the part where the hound dog dies - that's just too sad for me...Many other great ones, but that movie really made an impression on me.

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ncc1701 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:54 am

Sept 29, 2008, 9:22am, anne wrote:Favorite Paul Newman movie - Cool Hand Luke!Except for the part where the hound dog dies - that's just too sad for me...Many other great ones, but that movie really made an impression on me.Do you think that was actually him singing about the plastic Jesus on the dashboard of his car?Love that movie too.Kathleen