Rally CDs: How many tracks?

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Rally CDs: How many tracks?

Post by Paulie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:28 pm

I thought this was discussed last year but the search tool didn't help me find anything. Two questions:

What is everyone's mindset on CDs as far as the number of tracks to include, assuming your focus is instrumental cues?

Does it help to include tracks that have been signed by libraries or placed in shows, or should you only include tracks that are available if they like them?

I'm also debating whether to hand out CDs at all or just business cards with a URL to a Rally-specific Soundcloud playlist. I've heard that so many CDs just get tossed, I wonder if its worth the effort. I'm definitely bringing CDs for the listening panels. <Sean Connery voice> One track. One track only. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rally CDs: How many tracks?

Post by TheElement » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:54 pm

The CD is just a demo of what you can do. Most likely a library will ask you for an album of like 10 tracks or cues.

Demo CD can be as little as 3 tracks or as much as an album. It should be your best tracks.

This year I have 3 vocal songs and 5 instrumental cues. Last year I had 10 cues on the demo CD. Year before that I had 6 cues on the CD.

Put your best tracks first as they probably will only listen to the first few. however if they like those they might listen to the rest of the CD.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:57 pm

A lot of stuff is discussed here... http://forums.taxi.com/topic72927.html ...
I started that thread back in 2012.

As far as how many tracks, MY opinion is it doesn't matter as long as you only include your best. The reality is whether you have 3 tracks or 18, if you don't wow the listener in the first 1-2 tracks, the rest probably won't matter. If you need a number, the 3-8 range is most common. I will put more than that because I will use the same CDs for all purposes at the rally such as dropping for listening panels. I never know till I get there what I will do. But I always lead my CDs with what I think is the best and have at times circled a few on the track list before giving out. And for listening panels, you get a sticker to put on the CD case or envelope, indicating the track number.

It is OK to have tracks that are already signed exclusively since you are showing what you can do. But indicate on the track list that the song is signed exclusively.

Make sure your contact info is on both the CD and the case or envelope. The track list MUST be on the case/envelope, not just on the CD! Some still like to listen in the car and they can't read your track list if it's in the player.

For the rally, I strongly recommend envelopes, not cases. Cases are bulky and harder for folks from out of town to pack when going home. I print my track list and contact info on a 3 x 4 shipping label and stick that on the envelope. As long as the info is neat and readable, it's fine.

HTH
:D Casey

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks folks. I find myself having a problem selecting tracks. I've had forwards in more than 30 genres, I write in many different styles. i don't want to pigeonhole myself into a single category such as tension underscore (very common, lots of competition) or traditional jazz (not as common but not used as often as other genres). I've got a playlist with 20 cues that someone could listen to, scroll to find the genre, play, badda bing badda boom.

But I hear so often "don't say you do lots of genres" because they will think you suck. I think I can do multiple genres well... would that come off as too cocky? I feel like I've only got a single shot when meeting a potential customer/partner, so I want to let them know I can do many things. OR, do I pick 8 tracks and say "I can do other genres also?"
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Joseph » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:51 am

What I did last year was two tracks from three different genres. Out of those three genres I put my best tracks first.

-Joseph

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:55 am

Casey H wrote: For the rally, I strongly recommend envelopes, not cases. Cases are bulky and harder for folks from out of town to pack when going home. I print my track list and contact info on a 3 x 4 shipping label and stick that on the envelope. As long as the info is neat and readable, it's fine.

HTH
Thanks for this Casey.. I was thinking the exact opposite, so I'm glad I read this. I was thinking envelopes (sleeves) would be too risky. The one sheet could get lost or separated or the cd damaged being amongst all the other cds shuffling about. I had thought the thin cd jewel cases would be the best bet. The one sheet and cd stay protected inside the case...but I trust you. If sleeves are a better choice for the mentors then I want to follow protocol.

Another question ... for the Platinum Pitch Panel it says "Bring your best song on a flash drive or bring your guitar and sing it live." Rhyming aside...is this still correct? I should bring a flash drive for this? Would a song on a smartphone count? Or must it be a flash drive? Any help on this would be great. Thanks!
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:23 am

. <Sean Connery voice> One track. One track only. :)
I think you already stated the best idea :!:

Cd's are cheap.

Less chance of error playing the wrong track.

Just because a track is listed first doesn't mean that is going to be the one someone plays first.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

jadams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jadams » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:58 pm

I thought about bringing a CD with 3 tension cues and then another with 3 ambient, etc. Obviously you'd end up carrying more discs. Seems, though, that it would depend on who you're giving them to. A supervisor that mainly does tension placements probably doesn't want to listen to 3 EDM songs before they get to the tension cues.

I have an old light scribe drive that might still work but I'm curious how "professionally" everyone is making their discs. Printed CD's and sleeves?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 pm

jadams wrote:I thought about bringing a CD with 3 tension cues and then another with 3 ambient, etc. Obviously you'd end up carrying more discs. Seems, though, that it would depend on who you're giving them to. A supervisor that mainly does tension placements probably doesn't want to listen to 3 EDM songs before they get to the tension cues.

I have an old light scribe drive that might still work but I'm curious how "professionally" everyone is making their discs. Printed CD's and sleeves?
I recommend making your CDs look somewhat professional, at the minimum, use stick on labels, not sharpie writing. Put your contact info on both the CD and the envelope. Your track listing should also be on the envelope, not just on the CD!! I use large white shipping labels (3 1/4 x 4) for my track list, write them in Word, print, and stick them on the envelopes.

Sharpie writing on a CD looks unprofessional. What matters most is neat, readable print from a printer.

Nothing wrong with having mixed styles on one CD IMHO. Just clearly indicate that on the track listing:

Tension Cues
1. Title 1
2. Title 2
3. Title 3

Ambient Cues
4. Title A
5. Title B
6. Title C

etc.

For panel drop boxes, Taxi gives you stickers to indicate the track number you want played if your CD is picked.

minoruchan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by minoruchan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:56 pm

I will bring CDs with 10 tracks though only one piece will be heard.
because I never know what he or she would take.
Maybe what I like usually would`t be what they like.