RALLY LOVE (HOW MANY $$ IS IT WORTH?)

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: RALLY LOVE (HOW MANY $$ IS IT WORTH?)

Post by gitarrero » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:59 am

hey adonis (btw isn't that latin for "handsome man"? :?: :D )

I'm living in switzerland, and flying to LA is price-wise in the range you've mentioned from here.

the other guys/gals here already gave good answers - I just came across your post & thought I'll write a line.

for me, the rallys I have been have been well worth the spendings. often it's some simple/small things that later turn out to be something important for your further carreer. remember that even still in times of internet etc, nothing beats a personal interaction, at least in my own experience.
at the rally you get plenty of oppurtunities to get in touch with many people. many of them have turned out in something material later for me.

I guess the best recommondation I can give is: come well prepared, ie know what you're doing, what you like to achieve, etc. be open minded & curious.

also, to share room is a good idea - not only money-wise. I shared room twice and both time is has been a great pleasure.

hth
martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitaroboe » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks man!
I wonder how many Europeans will be there!
Maybe Michael Laskow will hoist flags of all the international road rally members
during the keynote!
see you there!
Adonis

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Or maybe the Europeans will all get together and hoist glasses in the bar so we know who they are!! :lol:
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitaroboe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:23 am

I'll drink to that John!

A.

jpmuzic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jpmuzic » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:29 am

YTou are going to enjoy yourself trust me. I have met so many new freinds at Taxi Rally like Mazz and others it's just great. Lot of information to retain that will be worth it. Looking forward to seeing you there.

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Adonis

This is my first rally, and I'm coming from New Zealand so I know exactly what you mean about the costs! However, from what I've read on these forums, the rally is a fantastic experience and well worth making the effort (including all the flying time!)

Hope I remember to bring a dot so it's easier to meet other forum people!

Cheers

davidhayesmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by davidhayesmusic » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:58 am

This is my first Rally as well although I'm coming in from Toronto. Not near as far as you're travelling.
Really looking forward to meeting everybody and learning alot as well. Keep writing.

Dave

tinozigzag
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tinozigzag » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:55 am

Adonis,
I am coming from London, is my first RR and I am as apprehensive as you about the all thing! I am thinking, this is a long way to go for something that I do not know for sure if is worth it!!
But if we do not go we will never know!!!
See you there
Tino

T&V Marino
Impressive
Impressive

Post by T&V Marino » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi Adonis, (cool name!)

That IS a lot of money to shell out -- but it's totally worth it. It can be overwhelming the first time or two attending the Rally, but it's exciting. You may not get a publishing deal right out the gate, but if you go without any "pie-in-the-sky" expectations, it will be great. And you will meet life-long friends. Especially if you come back year after year and people get to know you -- and you get to know them.

Seriously, we attend about 10-12 music industry events, conventions, and symposiums every year, and it totals AT LEAST $12,000 (for hotel, gasoline, meals, registration fees, etc.)!!! (Our accountant has the paperwork to prove it.) That's in addition to spending money on new equipment, computer upgrades, and instruments. But a few years ago we realized the friends and contacts we've made over the years make it worth every penny. We see the same people over and over again at all of these different events. After a few years, you get to know who is serious about their music and who the "toe-dippers" are.

In all honesty, our very favorite music convention is the TAXI Rally. It's because the people running it have it down to a science. And they have heart -- they genuinely want to help songwriters and composers -- and take pride in seeing each one succeed.

By the way, spending all those hours flying and sitting in the airport -- you should be able to write a song or two. It's all good! :P

So we'll see you at the Rally -- and just have fun!

Keep writing,

Tracey & Vance Marino

P.S. And don't forget to bring CDs and business cards! ;)
It's who you know -- and who knows you!
http://www.SongMakerPro.com

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm

I haven't been to a Rally in a couple of years, not because I don't want to. I don't think I've ever been to an event that I so absolutely enjoyed. Has anyone ever been bummed that they actually attended? I can't imagine that. I'm not really doing music anymore and I'm just dropping by this forum to get a hit of the awesomeness that I remember so well.

It really is a hotel full of the love of music.

And getting to meet the people who hang on this forum, is a memory I'll cherish forever. :D

Have the time of your lives.