Rally Rookies

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rally Rookies

Post by tedsingingfox » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:48 pm

Quote:Well, here I am burning CDs, getting jewel cases, envelopes, lyric sheets, business cards, etc. ready (dots and rubber bands too!) SPECIAL THANKS TO VIKKI (Our Hummingbird) who has been an incredible mentor in her own right in educating us on how to be prepared for the rally. I don't know, Vikki, if you will read this before I see you, but VIKKI ROCKS!! CaseyI second that emotion.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

asiabackpacker
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by asiabackpacker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:29 pm

So as I'm reading through all the Rally info threads, I realize I am probably the only dumb arse coming to the Rally who doesn't actually have any recordings to bring....I just joined TAXI-mainly to start getting serious about my music in the coming year, but also joined now, so I could be a member in time to attend the Rally. Thing is, I've been traveling for the past year, and while I've written myself into the ground....and back....I only got back to LA last week, and don't actually have anything recorded yet. (I have recordings from over a year ago, but they hardly represent my current songwriting ability).....so I gots nothing. I've started slapping stuff together in Pro Tools, but nothing that I feel comfortable playing to anyone just yet. After reading how big a part of the Rally having CD's is, I was thinking I could just slap together a few simple guitar and vocals recordings by Thursday. What do you guys think?Elliott

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:03 pm

You'll get a ton out of the Rally even if you don't have anything to "show". It's an extremely educational and motivating event, and I think those aspects (and networking) is really where most people get the most out of it.So if you don't have anything recorded that you're not happy enough with to be wanting to share it, don't sweat it.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:28 pm

Hey, Elliot. LOVE to hear Matt's reply, as I've been having to work HARD at getting my head ready for walking into this (Rally) withOUT unreal, excited-newbie-dream-expectations. What Matt said is really all I can afford to "expect" to get out of the rally. Anything more than that will truly be a gift.Or, do what I've read on the boards here time after time, and pick out ONE tune to focus on. Less crunch-time pressure, AND you'll have something in your hand.As an excited newbie, just being there will be worth WEEKS of adrenaline.Don't forget your dots for your badge. Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

asiabackpacker
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by asiabackpacker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:47 pm

Awesome...thanks guys! Just what I wanted to hear...See you (and your dots) there!Elliott

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Bought my dots today... I spent the extra 20¢ so I could get blue ones rather than bright neon orange and green. Because, as we all know, it's not about how good your music is, it's about how well your dot coordinates with your CD and business card graphics. And besides, the walls of my studio are blue. And blue is my favorite color (as my 3 year old is fond of reminding me.) So, skinny guy with blue dots. That's me.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:19 am

Quote:Bought my dots today... I spent the extra 20¢ so I could get blue ones rather than bright neon orange and green. Because, as we all know, it's not about how good your music is, it's about how well your dot coordinates with your CD and business card graphics. And besides, the walls of my studio are blue. And blue is my favorite color (as my 3 year old is fond of reminding me.) So, skinny guy with blue dots. That's me. CYA there, Stick... I got bright green.... Getting ready to board... This wi-fi stuff is great! Casey

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:02 am

I feel like such a Rally noob today. (Not arriving in LA 'til tomorrow) My head is pounding from staying up all nite burning CD's, and of course trying to get the printer to work effectively. Feels like I'm cramming for an exam or something. Next year, things'll be different...