Rally Rookies

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Rally Rookies

Post by hummingbird » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Hey, I thought it might be good to start a thread with a few thoughts that might help Rally rookies be prepared.Road Rally Panels / Mentors: With your demo CD, bring lyric sheets & elastic bands. If you want to drop a CD in the box for each panel, you want to make a burrito of your offering & include a lyric sheet with each CD that says which song you are entering for the draw. You can enter one song/per panel. The boxes are divided by genre so you will need to tell them, when passing over your CD, which box to put it in.If you are planning to play a song for the mentor appointment or the 'drive by mentor', then a lyric sheet will help a lot.And when I say lyric sheet, I mean one page, typed, with the lyric of your song.Also, after the panels, they will put the boxes out so you can get your CD back. It can be hard to find them though, so make sure you bring enough.Don't enter anything for the panel or play anything for the mentor without listening to it first to make sure your CD is okay.And for the panel drop, you might want to use a full sized jewelcase as envelopes & smaller cases might get damaged by the weight of other submissions. Don't bother with inserts. the panelists don't see them. Mentors will, though.H.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Rally Rookies

Post by Casey H » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Great Vikki It is SO nice of you to offer advice to all of us who have never been to a Road Rally. You are the cat's pajamas! Thanks!! Casey

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:30 pm

And how about those Rockies' rally into the world series?!?!?! Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:12 am

Quote:Quote:Agreed. Thanks, Vikki.From someone who gets you....And ... for a newbie (who has to ask/pay someone else to burn the discs I'll be bringing with me to the Rally), any recommendation of a NUMBER of discs to think about? I was thinking I should have 20-30 with me, for Mentors, etc. and for other Taxi members. Is that absurd?...WAY too many?...not nearly enough? (and, again, I'm going to BOTH Mentor lunches...)thanks, ahead of time.Ted there already was a discussion about that. dave mentioned he brought about 60 last year, and gave them all away.And not to just other members. Mostly mentors and "industry" people I met. The last CD was on the flight back where the person next to me was a film maker flying to Missouri to shoot some documentary footage at a prison somewhere. Better to bring more than you need than not enough.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 pm

WHOA!!! Very surprised by those numbers, but VERY grateful to get a more realistic idea. THANK YOU, thank you, thank you.(Lordie, I need to get busy... )Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:26 am

You mean your REALLY coming now? Yes...no......maybe...YES...?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 am

Quote:Well folks, I got my new passport just today. Plane & Hotel are booked. I hope to meet many of you in LA.steve whoo hoo!! see you there, with dots on!!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:12 am

Quote:Well folks, I got my new passport just today. Plane & Hotel are booked. I hope to meet many of you in LA.steveLA?? They didn't tell you the location was moved? hee hee... CYA THERE! Casey

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:35 am

Quote:This is GREAT news, Steve. C.U. There.Ah, so the DOTS really might be playing in LA next week? Ooops. Nope. The lead singer is still missing, right? Crap.TedDoes somebody need a singer? I might know one

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Quote:This is GREAT news, Steve. C.U. There.Ah, so the DOTS really might be playing in LA next week? Ooops. Nope. The lead singer is still missing, right? Crap.TedHuh? Nomiyah & I will both be there. Two lead Dots for the price of one. But we do need Squid to be kick ass, for sure.Which reminds me... I found some dots today, with prices on them. 10 cents and 25 cents. Thankfully they also have a row of blanks so I can write in my own price