RALLY

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: RALLY

Post by squidlips » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Hey Nomi!!Wish I coulda been there ta meetcha too. We'll get it together one day. Where do we get the stick t-shirts? I wanna know!

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 pm

I don't think I can fully put in to words the experiences and memories I've brought home with me from the Rally. I've jumped right back in to composing and completing 13 cuts for the "O lady" due December 1st and my butt's been in the chair until 3AM some nights. I'm not complaining, I absolutely love it but it's taken me away a little from my feelings for all of you "dots" and all the others I met at the Rally. I'm sure it'll all come flooding back to me as I listen to your CDs in December. Seeing your posts here remind me of you all. It's funny, but I felt like I knew everyone already even though most of us had never met. I'm amazed at how our personalities and personas come through in our posts! I can't call out any highlights (the Clinton room was pretty cool, though! ). The whole weekend was on a very high level of intensity. It seems like we all got what we came for and more. For me, it was being able to go "under the hood" on some aspects of the business by talking with all my colleagues here. I didn't take any classes but the knowledge I got from hanging with folks like Matt, Dave and the rest was so deep and powerful that it is priceless!Here's to everyone's continuing success. Aub, maybe we should all meet in LA in the summer, I too would like to hang more with people of your caliber. Bring Ponch along too!Cheers and tears,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Quote:And while I'm at it, Casey... Great memories of our penthouse balcony chat.Shhhhhhh! Keep it quiet or ALL the women are going to want one!

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Quote:Well... this is what I took home from the Rally1) My music as it stands is good enough to get forwards. But good enough probably isn’t good enough for the next level (placements). A major component of excellence is the ability to learn from others and to apply it. Additionally, many excellent songwriters co-write regularly. And the higher your output, the better your craftsmanship. I have Jai Josef’s one-on-one and melody class and Kara DiGuardia’s talk to thank for this.2) There are many opportunities with industry types for excellent music. It is not restricted by age or genre or whatever. Aub and I were lucky enough to get an hour with B***. B*** owns a label that is a joint venture with one of the biggies. He produces in the big league (he’s doing Kelly Clarkson’s next album) and one of his label acts recently charted at No 1. He discussed, in detail, many aspects of his business from artist development, recording, shopping to majors, distribution, marketing, positioning etc. No money could have bought this hour of advice. I’m sure Aub agrees.3) It is never too late in life to make meaningful relationships. And it’s not hard. Just be yourself and forget the swagger that is so prevalent in this industry.Regarding the Forum members, who could put a monetary value on such a bonding weekend. Some of things that will make me smile for ages:- hearing Mazz and Jai Josefs jam - Aub, Ponco, Steve, Ted and I planning the Lamborghini theft - Ponco and I plotting guitar lines on our cowrite in a garage at 3.30 am - Matt emptying out his bar fridge so the party could continue - getting a verbal tour of Von’s bass collection (what a positive guy ).- Soucy jumping up bellowing ‘awesome’ at random points through the weekend - discussing Stick’s studio. If I ever am lucky enough to professionally record an album I’m heading out his way. If anyone has a spare half-million, Stick and I can put it to good use - Casey, Vikki, Aub and I shared a table at Saturday’s mentor lunch. The questions were incisive and flying thick and fast. For me this was an excellent hour in good company.- rooming with Martin. Best room-mate a guy could ask for - getting Kelly and Jon’s CD at last!- dissecting Ted’s lyrics (what a moment ). Also happened at 2 am. A LOT happened in the early hours.- promising Walton I would punt his electronica here in Ibiza to see what happens (haven’t forgotten, Dave).- making Chuck promise that his next family holiday will be in Spain - hanging with Anne House. She has countless stories of her and her hubby’s years in the industry that had me captivated. And she is a class act.- getting my 15 minutes with Matt Hirt, a man who has a lot of knowledge to share and is tirelessly generous in sharing it.- telling Aub that the earth revolves around the sun and not Texas - big shout-out to Vikki for all her posts pre-Rally. They ensured that I came prepared.Hasta luegoLiamLiam, I will gladly plot with you anytime. And that was the best dissection I've had in months, the cigarette afterward was heavenly.
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

chrisbee
Impressive
Impressive

Post by chrisbee » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Quote:...Favorite Rally quote: POTENTIAL IS NOT GOOD ENOUGHWow! I remember that and I agree - that was definitely the quote of the weekend!I better chime in too - Hi, lovely Nomi! cb

rcase
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rcase » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:33 am

Quote:Liam, I will gladly plot with you anytime. And that was the best dissection I've had in months, the cigarette afterward was heavenly. Man, I have GOT to get to the Rally next year.
"Financial success as a songwriter requires 3 things: One, craft. Two, volume. Three, time." - Vikki Flawith

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:56 am

I have to say that I'm with Aub. Terrible case of reverse home-sickness. I miss everyone already! I wish I could've managed to stay up and hang out with everyone, but honestly, I think the past weekend was the most sleep I've gotten in years. How sad is that ! Anyway, just being around everyone was enlightening. I'm a huge observer, not that anyone would know from the way my mouth ran the whole time, but that's probably because you all felt like family. I learned by watching and listening all of you this weekend and felt like I gained insight into your music just by paying attention to your character and the personalities. That's a true testament to all of you (Dots and others included), because you are putting enough of yourself out there musically and in-person that your hearts are shining through. Okay, enough mushy stuff from me. Back to being, well, me!