rally - yes or no - please help me to decide!

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

rally - yes or no - please help me to decide!

Post by gitarrero » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:57 am

hi folks,..as some of you know, I'm living in Switzerland (that is a very small country between germany, france, italy and autriche).I'm currently thinking about to join the rally this year which means to fly from little switzerland to huge L.A. for me. I have to book early in order to keep the cost for the flight low (...ok, it isn't low anyway... but let's just say "reasonably".. ), so please help me to make my decicion either I go or not.my questions:* on which dates (exactly!) is the rally? I coudn't find it on taxi.com* does the hotel have an internet site with it's prices?* is it possible (e.g. does the hotel allow it) to share a room with another taxi-fellow in order to share the cost?* and maybe most important: does it "bring it" (e.g. does the rally "bring it")? to be a little clearer:- is it possible to meet with executives and present them my material (..or am I one of 1000 people who want to do this, with the result that the exec. is flooded with cds etc)?- for those who have attended in the past: is there a diffrence between actually be at the rally instead of just reading the interviews/some panel discussions after the rally has happened?I already contacted taxi for a list of which pannels etc took place 2006, just to have an overview...besides all these questions, I think it would be great fun to meet some taxi fellows anyway. on the other hand, I have to spend some money in order to attend, that's why I'm asking.thanks for every help in advance.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: rally - yes or no - please help me to decide!

Post by hummingbird » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:09 am

Hi -- The dates of the Rally were announced in the last listing email -- Nov 8th to Nov 11th. -- I believe the hotel offers wireless or internet connection in the rooms, but I think it might be extra - someone else might know more.-- yes, you can share with someone else. People looking for roommates often post on this forum in the Rally section. -- yes, you have access to all the panelists (along with everyone else), and yes, they will accept CDs from you. In addition, at the Rally you have the opportunity to a) meet with a mentor of your choice (an important part of registration is to choose that mentor & the time you will meet with them); b) attend a mentor lunch (costs extra) where 3 to 4 mentors will visit your table; c) request a personal appointment with a mentor (costs extra - last year I met with John Braheny for an hour); perform at an open mic; possibly have something played at a panel; run into mentors in the bar and in the elevator; network like crazy.For me there is a huge difference between reading about it and being there. The reading is good, there's good information there, for sure. But being there really helped me see where I was and what I needed to know/learn/do in order to get where I want to be. That's just my personal feeling though. In addition, the stuff that's published doesn't cover all the classes or workshops that are available. In addition, in an article you don't get to hear the music that panelists hear, and then comment on, saying what works and doesn't work or whether they would consider making a deal for it.I too have to spend a great deal of money to attend... usually over $2000 CA with hotel, transportation & meals ....the Rally is overwhelming (so much to do and choose from & you can't do it all... + so many music-oriented people in one place at one time), inspiring, friendly and fun.I have to say my first Rally I just went to see what was going on and how things worked, and being in the huge city of LA, and being at the Rally, was vastly different than anything I'd done before. Be prepared to be overwhelmed, in a good way. Get lots of sleep before you come... and if I were you, with the time change, I'd arrive the day before and give yourself a chance to adjust a little before the Rally starts. Assuming you do attend Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:57 am

Quote:-- I believe the hotel offers wireless or internet connection in the rooms, but I think it might be extra - someone else might know more.(..)-- yes, you have access to all the panelists (along with everyone else), and yes, they will accept CDs from you. In addition, at the Rally you have the opportunity to a) meet with a mentor of your choice (an important part of registration is to choose that mentor & the time you will meet with them); b) attend a mentor lunch (costs extra) where 3 to 4 mentors will visit your table; c) request a personal appointment with a mentor (costs extra - last year I met with John Braheny for an hour); perform at an open mic; possibly have something played at a panel; run into mentors in the bar and in the elevator; network like crazy.hi hummin' bird,thanks a lot for your input!my question* does the hotel have an internet site with it's prices?..was missunderstood: I meant if I can check out the prices for the hotel-rooms anywhere in the internet. not if they have internet access....now a few follow-up questions to you:* do you remember what a mentor lunch costs approx.?* do you know what a personal appointment with a mentor costs?this will help me to make my personal "rally budget"... yeah I think I will attend - so let's start preparing;)thanks again,martin

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:19 am

my question* does the hotel have an internet site with it's prices?..was missunderstood: I meant if I can check out the prices for the hotel-rooms anywhere in the internet. not if they have internet access.Taxi asks that we don't publish the name/location of the hotel on the public board. I expect all the info will be in the June 15th listing email....now a few follow-up questions to you:* do you remember what a mentor lunch costs approx.?I think it was $25US or so* do you know what a personal appointment with a mentor costs?...depends on the mentor and their standard charges. John Braheny was $100 for an hour last year. When we start getting the info on the Rally, there will a list of mentors. I knew John was going & I've attended a couple of workshops taught by him & used his on-line critique service, so spending an hour with him was valuable to me.However, please don't get confused -- Each Taxi member attending the Rally gets a free 15 minute consultation with a mentor; as well as the opportunity to attend a mentor lunch. My JB meeting was a personal appointment I sent up myself as part of my attending the Rally. H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:28 am

thank a lot for your help & infos, vikky!..btw: you're extremly fast in responding to my post's here - thanks!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:22 am

Quote:my question* does the hotel have an internet site with it's prices?..was missunderstood: I meant if I can check out the prices for the hotel-rooms anywhere in the internet. not if they have internet access.Martin, FYI Taxi usually negotiates a substantially discounted room rate for Road Rally attendees, in other words you pay less than the hotel's regular rates. So I would wait until the first official Rally info email, should be in the next listings email or the one thereafter. It will have all that info.As far as whether it's worth attending coming from so far away...I live in LA so I can't really answer that question. However (in addition to Vikki ) I've met members from Australia, Europe and the Caribbean in the past who felt it was definitely worth it to them.I guess to some degree it depends on your expectations, and also on your personality, attitude and networking abilities.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:36 pm

thanks matto,yeah I agree (expectations, networking, etc) - I will join, that'll be my holidays for autumn (..though I don't think I will get much sleep..

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:17 pm

There should be a reward for the Taxi member who comes the farthest to attend the Rally... like maybe a free Taxi ride?Hope to meet you there, Martin.Nomi

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:58 am

Quote:hi folks,..as some of you know, I'm living in Switzerland (that is a very small country between germany, france, italy and autriche).I'm currently thinking about to join the rally this year which means to fly from little switzerland to huge L.A. for me. I have to book early in order to keep the cost for the flight low (...ok, it isn't low anyway... but let's just say "reasonably".. ), so please help me to make my decicion either I go or not.my questions:* on which dates (exactly!) is the rally? I coudn't find it on taxi.com* does the hotel have an internet site with it's prices?* is it possible (e.g. does the hotel allow it) to share a room with another taxi-fellow in order to share the cost?* and maybe most important: does it "bring it" (e.g. does the rally "bring it")? to be a little clearer:- is it possible to meet with executives and present them my material (..or am I one of 1000 people who want to do this, with the result that the exec. is flooded with cds etc)?- for those who have attended in the past: is there a diffrence between actually be at the rally instead of just reading the interviews/some panel discussions after the rally has happened?I already contacted taxi for a list of which pannels etc took place 2006, just to have an overview...besides all these questions, I think it would be great fun to meet some taxi fellows anyway. on the other hand, I have to spend some money in order to attend, that's why I'm asking.thanks for every help in advance.cheers,martinMartinI have the same dilemma as you. Live in Ibiza and LA seems so far away and so much money for what is unknown.Anyway, if it's any help my wife persuaded me to book tickets yesterday. After reading your posting!!Hope you make it.Liamwww.liamkellylive.com

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:23 pm

Quote:MartinI have the same dilemma as you. Live in Ibiza and LA seems so far away and so much money for what is unknown.Anyway, if it's any help my wife persuaded me to book tickets yesterday. After reading your posting!!Hope you make it.Liamwww.liamkellylive.comthanks..! I will lay down a budget for the whole experience/adventure this week & then book too - it's way cheaper to book in advance.hope to see you all there!martin