Re: American Idol Thoughts

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:55 am

The real question here is... where are these kids parents and/ or friends? Where do kids get these dreams of grandure? If you have a booger on your nose, a real friend will tell you, not ignore it. If you aren't a good singer, for goodness sake I hope someone will share that with you. What I find strange is the folks who are terrible, criticising Simon for telling them they are. They just spent all day trying to get his nod of approval, and after crashing and burning, tell him he knows nothing about music or the industry. What is with people that feel they must become famous, or their life is all crap? Do you younger guys/gals feel this way?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:01 am

Quote:This new season reminds me how sick and pathetic the music industry can be. I almost never watch prime-time TV anymore because of the fast-track into cheap and mindless entertainment, it has become.As a viewer of American Idol, from time to time for a couple of seasons, I winced but was able to stomach most of it. In past seasons, I actually picked out Carrie Underwood to win the whole thing (in the early rounds) and I have a pseudo-connection with the biggest winner to date. But I've always hated talent shows. There's a fine line between watching/judging talent and the humiliation and degradation of contestants. Last night I witnessed American Idol (and America) laugh and degrade some contestants, mostly because of the way they look, behave, and sing. You know what I'm talking about. Near the end of the show, AI brought out an overweight kid, that had an obvious mental challenge and paired him up with a kid that Simon later labeled, "you look like one of those monkeys with big eyes, that lives in the forest." When each came into the room (and before), American Idol crossed the line. All three judges were laughing, smirking, visually degrading, and making fun of each kid before they could utter a note. I almost threw-up watching this segment.You see, using those less fortunate that others, for degrading and mean-spirited entertainment, is sick and pathetic. Setting them up for obvious humiliation is true to the spirit of throwing the Christians to the lions in early Rome. And America loves it.Hey why stop with those kids? Bring my cancer-stricken nephew on the show! He's 16, lost all his hair from Chemo, has bulging eyes and a little slow mentally from his cancer treatments and the hell he has gone thru....why not bring him on for Simon, Abdul, Jackson, and American viewers to laugh at and cut- down? Let's laugh at the less-fortunate. Let's elbow each other and hold down our belly laughs because of the way they look. Why not bring on "bum fights?"I'm ashamed. I will never watch AI again. And if the entire music industry has reached this new low I will not hesitate to quit this aspect of music industry forever. I don't need, or have ever needed, blood money. What, they don't need me anyway? That's OK with me."Fox executives, who just lived through perhaps the bleakest in a long line of miserable fall seasons, had trouble Wednesday containing their joy." - http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/"Beyond being happy about the strong return of "Idol," Darnell said he wasn't sure precisely why "Idol" is so strong again, other than the fact that it's good television and extraordinarily broad." - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... b2aafdGood television? OMG......I felt exactly the same way!! How dare they bring an obviously physically challenged kid (the overweight young man) and degrade him like that!!! It's one thing to audition people who just aren't good enough, but that went way too far!!! The same for the kid with the bulging eyes. I admit he attacked Simon before he started, but nevertheless, his facial features may have been due to a medical reason or handicap and should have never been mentioned! This was disgusting.The redheaded guy seemed like he had a mental illness and probably shouldn't have been allowed on simply to be humiliated.Shame on Fox TV!Casey

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:06 am

I've always thought AI was kind of cheesy anyway....I've never watched it that much. And I'm from a state which has three American Idol winners. With the exception of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, it doesn't seem like American Idol has launched that many careers. Bo Bice, Rueben Studdard and Taylor Hicks have had some modest success, but really, things didn't seem to pan out well for those guys.I used to think Simon was just awful, but over the years, I've grown to respect him. At least, he's honest and doesn't hide his feelings. I think it's better to tell someone right up front if you think they're not AI material rather than tell them something nice and then after they walk out of the room, laugh at them. That way, people finally realize they should find another line of work. I think the 'bush baby' comment (the one Simon used with reference to the 'monkey') was out of line though, he didn't have to insult someone to give them an honest critique, so I agree with you there.For better or worse though, AI is here to stay.

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:13 am

Well, no one held a gun to those peoples' heads and made them do what they did. I didn't think Simon got too bad until the people wouldn't leave after being told "no". Then, they launched into the personal stuff. Remember, you have to be pre-judged a couple of times before you get to the "holy trinity" of AI.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:14 am

Oops, make that two American Idol winners and one runner up.

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:25 am

I have only watched about ten minutes of American Idol since it's inception. This is what A&R has reduced itself to in today's music industry. It used to be that an A&R person would find a group that they thought had potential and they would sign them to a developmental deal with a record label. Obviously, if the group was a success, the A&R rep was heralded as a genius. Conversely, if the group bombed, that rep probably lost their job.Now, A&R is so afraid of picking a "loser", that they let the public decide who the companies will sign to contracts with a long stream of mindless contests where people are willing to humiliate themselves for the chance at the brass ring. With American Idol, Making the Band, America's Got Talent, Rockstar: Supernova, ad infinitum, A&R reps no longer have to put their heads on the chopping block and actually find talent. All I can say is that I can rest assured that in a few months we will know who will star in the next series of Ford commercials...

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:48 am

My wife likes the show, she's in radio. We let our kids watch for 10 minutes before bed the last 2 nites because they love it. But I was left with a sick feeling in my stomach. Why expose my children to this kind of degradation? i sure as hell don't want them ever thinking Simon is a role model. The honesty is great, everyone needs to know the truth, good or bad. The sarcasm and mean spirited insults... well, don't be surprised if a humiliated contestant comes back and shoots the turd. Then again, Simon is smart enough to stage a whole sub-plot like that, and have every one in TV land think it actually happened. It's about ratings. Simon owns a lot of the show and knows enough to say blatantly mean things that get ratings up. Look, we're even talking about it here! It makes me angry that my children are getting this kind of warped version of what happens if you're not good enough for AI. There was one moment where the judges recommended a guy stick with his band, instead of trying out AI. They said it was because he was better suited to that. I think the truth was - it was a convenient way out of telling him they didn't like his voice. It's true he wasn't a great singer. They have certainly gone out on a limb before , and allowed that style of singing through to first round. I guess AI just couldn't imagine having a singer like the guy from Nickelback, again. Our research shows... blah blah blah Perhaps that's because that particular demographic doesn't watch enough, or maybe because that demographic is huge enough to skew the voting results. Who knows? I don't get angry about many things, but watching human beings get discarded as grotesquely as AI can get away with, is at the top of my list. Does this planet need more of Simon and Fox's(were they the ones going to do the OJ special?) kind of thinking? There could be an argument made that the show steers people away from buying music, and is detrimental to the long-term health of the music business. Does Michael Laskow ever express his views re:AI? I've also heard that the show is going to solicit songs from writers this season. Now does that make me want to watch it more? Enough ranting, because I would much rather be judged by all of you nice people(and some of you not so nice as well). At least there's no camera recording my eye brows twitching when I get a bad review.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:50 am

Quote:You KNOW the AI screeners could've sent these poor souls packing upon the first initial auditions. Instead they KNEW that they were "perfect" for humiliation by Simon & Company AND America. They were handpicked by the screeners. Handpicked for their ultimate demise and embarrassment. They probably coaxed and goaded the unfortunate, telling them, "go before the judges! You just might make it!"Why did these unfortunates even make it as far as the judges and prime-time America? Because America loves "mean" television.American Idol loves doing this.Fox loves doing this.America loves doing this.Ridicule the mentally unfit on national television. Nice.Well, shaka, you and I are in complete agreement on this one. I know the screeners handpick both the best and the worst to make the show entertaining. I don't mind that. And yes, no one forces anyone to audition. However, if the person is one of the worst and it's due to a mental or physical handicap, they should draw the line. Casey

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:51 am

Quote:You KNOW the AI screeners could've sent these poor souls packing upon the first initial auditions. Instead they KNEW that they were "perfect" for humiliation by Simon & Company AND America. They were handpicked by the screeners. Handpicked for their ultimate demise and embarrassment. They probably coaxed and goaded the unfortunate, telling them, "go before the judges! You just might make it!"Why did these unfortunates even make it as far as the judges and prime-time America? Because America loves "mean" television.American Idol loves doing this.Fox loves doing this.America loves doing this.Ridicule the mentally unfit on national television. Nice.Simon's latest baby over here (UK) is The X Factor and that finished just before Christmas.I think if you look at it for what it is(entertainment)you shouldn't be too dissapointed.The advert's and the phone in voting system are making him and absoulute fortune.As far as auditions are concerned you have to pass three(Producer) auditions before you get to see the judges and the Producer's are looking for the quirky,the awful and of course outstanding talent.This year's winner (can't remember her name) is a potential world class act so you may get to see her soon.Simon is now looking for anything from singers to jugglers to dog acts so that should be fun.No I am not going to audition!!! I can't get into my Tu Tu anymore.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:52 am

The first half of AI ( the auditions) is all about ratings. How many people can we get on the air that look (and sound) foolish. I had a friend who is a professional demo singer go to one of the earlier AI auditions. She spent an entire day there and met some very talented singers. Two of them had just finished a tour in a broadway musical.She went up for her first of about 3 auditions that you have to go thru before going before Randy, Simon, & Paula. She didn't make it, but decided to hang around to see if her new friends had better luck. Unfortunately they didn't make it either, however some guy in a wacked out costume, who couldn't sing was easily moved on to the next round of auditions.The show has gotten so absurd that you have to wonder if some of these people that go there just to play the fool are getting paid by the production company. Personally I've gotten tired of all the mindlessness, so I watch Nashville Star instead. At least that show is about the talent.