Re: Boot problem...

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:11 am

Quote:Hi Nick,I got a major problem here... My G5 (for details see below) worked with not one problem for the last 2 years.2 days ago I installed an upgrade from OSX 10.3.9 to the current OSX 10.4.7.I also updated the complete various software (also from Logic 7.1 to 7.2)... and now I got this boot problem. Sometimes the G5 does not boot but freeze right after pushing the start button. I thought OK I'll install Tiger new from scratch with deleting the HD first but it didn't helped. So what would you do? Install the OSX 10.4.7 a third time from scratch?Thanks,GunterPS: Do you think a reset via the reset button inside the G5 could help?(I know the no battery & time procedure...)Apple G5 (2.2) Dual 1800 2nd Generation (PowerMac7,3) / Mac OS X 10.4.7 / Boot-ROM-Version: 5.1.8f2 / Logic Pro 7.2.1 / 2 GIG RAM / Focusrite Channel Strip ISA 430 MK II Producer Pack with AD Converter on board. Connected via SPDIF Optical Cable / Unitor 8 Mk II ( Driver Version 1.5 Mac OSX) / 2 TC Powercore PCI (I) OS 2.0.1 / Sony Oxford Plug-ins: Dynamics 1.1, OXF-R3 Equaliser 1.4.1, Inflator 1.3.1, Transient Modulator 1.1 / All regular TC Electronics Plug-ins / Vienna Symphonic Library Pro Edition Strings / Michiel Post's The Emperor / Stylus RMX 1.5.1 / Trilogy AU 1.2.4 / Atmosphere AU 1.2.4 / RME Multiface - Hammerfall DSP Driver 1.60 & HDSP Flash 1.60 /HD's: IBM 80 GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm (Internal Main HD with OSX installed)LaCie 160 GB FireWire connected via 800 FW Cable (Audio HD)LaCie 160 GB FireWire connected via 400 FW Cable (Sample HD)A few questions:1st - when you say freeze, is it actually going to the grey "screen of death", or simply staying on the start up screen with the little wheel spinning, or is it never going past black?2nd - did you actually reformat the hard drive?3rd - if so, do the freezes only happen after other software installs?The first place I would look is the power management and sleep settings. I'm away from my mac, but I set the processor to highest and turn all the sleep stuff but monitor off.Freezing before boot sounds more like hardware than software though, especially if you've reformatted the system drive. The first thing I would look at there is memory. Is the 2gigs factory? Corrupt memory sticks can cause some weird, intermittena things.Maybe with some more details we can figure this thing out.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:03 am

Ern

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:59 am

It's hard to say without more info, but in the meantime...Try this forumhttp://www.macfixitforums.com/or this onehttp://macusersforum.com/Good luck.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:59 pm

I can't think of any reason to suspect hardware problems or PRAM or PMY or other stuff if the machine was working with 10.3. My suggestion is to start with a clean installation - not an update, a clean installation of a new system.Thinking about it, that's probably the only option when you go to 10.4 anyway.I'd also recommend disconnecting everything from the computer - FireWire drives, etc. - while you get it working, and then add them back one at a time.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:51 pm

Actually I was wrong - it was hardware. But I'm glad you got it working.The new Mac Pro looks great, but the RAM prices simply kill the machine for me. Putting 8GB in a dual G5 is $600; putting it in that machine is at least $1400. (Until this evening I couldn't find it for less than $2000.)