RE: Critiques

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gjohnson

RE: Critiques

Post by gjohnson » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:49 am

I got my first critique back from reviewer #34 and it did not help me much. IT seemed to be more of a generic letter about the industry than it did pertaining to the song. The song was not forwarded but am not sure if a simple correction lyrically would fix the problem. I already have a re-write of the chorus ready and a back-up rewrite if that is needed. I am new to taxi, although I have been writing for awhile.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: RE: Critiques

Post by davewalton » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:49 am

Quote: I got my first critique back from reviewer #34 and it did not help me much. IT seemed to be more of a generic letter about the industry than it did pertaining to the song. The song was not forwarded but am not sure if a simple correction lyrically would fix the problem. I already have a re-write of the chorus ready and a back-up rewrite if that is needed. I am new to taxi, although I have been writing for awhile. Not all reviews are eye-openers. I've found that while I have had a few single eye-opening critiques, mostly I've monitored the effectiveness of my tracks by using kind of a concensus of the critiques overall. Usually starting with a half-dozen or so critiques, a pattern will emerge and you'll have something tangible to proceed with. Then hopefully, whatever it is that's coming to the forefront, is something that will slowly disappear from the critique radar as you work on those issues.

gjohnson

Post by gjohnson » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:55 am

Thanks, I was going to wait and see what the other reviewers had to say before the re-write.

dlf

Post by dlf » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:57 am

Hey. I agree with Dave (Hey Dave! Darrin from Balto). Sometimes the critique isn't a hit on the head with a baseball bat! You have to remember that it's one person's opinion. I write a lot of Electronica/Dance stuff, and I've had Metal heads critiquing my stuff. I got a critique once that said, "I'm not in this genre so I don't really understand this music, but it sounds good!" Ok, now what? I try to keep a balance of listening to what the screeners say, and not saying they are full of it. After all, the artist ego comes out if they trash you, right? LOL But I always try to maintain my initial feelings when I wrote the song, while incorporating the suggestions from the screeners. After all, they are in the biz! The one thing I have a problem with though, is I've done a couple rewrites and wanted to get them back to the screener for another listen, just to see if I was on the right track. I have not been successful with getting back to them, or have gotten any responses, but listening to what they have to say had increased my forwards!Stay strong and keep writing!~DLF
~DLF

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:22 am

Quote:Hey. I agree with Dave (Hey Dave! Darrin from Balto). Sometimes the critique isn't a hit on the head with a baseball bat! You have to remember that it's one person's opinion. I write a lot of Electronica/Dance stuff, and I've had Metal heads critiquing my stuff. I got a critique once that said, "I'm not in this genre so I don't really understand this music, but it sounds good!" Ok, now what? I try to keep a balance of listening to what the screeners say, and not saying they are full of it. After all, the artist ego comes out if they trash you, right? LOL But I always try to maintain my initial feelings when I wrote the song, while incorporating the suggestions from the screeners. After all, they are in the biz! The one thing I have a problem with though, is I've done a couple rewrites and wanted to get them back to the screener for another listen, just to see if I was on the right track. I have not been successful with getting back to them, or have gotten any responses, but listening to what they have to say had increased my forwards!Stay strong and keep writing!~DLFMr DLF... what a nice surprise! This guy is case in point that you meet the BEST people at the Taxi Rallys. Plus he's got really good music.

jlaplante

Post by jlaplante » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:32 pm

I am brand new to taxi and I just got my first 2 returns. I was really bummed out and went to my studio and started to re-write the songs according to what the screener said. Then I thought...that is only one opinion. I might as well wait until I get a couple more submission results before I rush off and rerecord my songs. I guess I just have to be patient. Cheers!

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Quote:I am brand new to taxi and I just got my first 2 returns. I was really bummed out and went to my studio and started to re-write the songs according to what the screener said. Then I thought...that is only one opinion. I might as well wait until I get a couple more submission results before I rush off and rerecord my songs. I guess I just have to be patient. Cheers! Hey jlaplanteIf you post your songs here with the listings and the critiques then someone surfing who knows what they're talking about (I exclude myself because I rarely know what I'm talking about) might give you some good tips. There are some serious artists who are regular posters on these boards - Steve a Gilbert (1000 songs written, Canadian country keyboardist of the year 5 years in a row and a respected and noted producer and co-writer), Matt Hirt (too many instrumental film and tv placements to mention, a true workaholic), Martin Haene (multitalented composer and producer with MTV credits amongst others), Dave Walton (13 (I think) film soundtracks under his belt and many others whom I don't know. Take a chance and throw your stuff out there and you'll get top advice for free in addition to your Taxi critiques.And maybe you'll get some advice that'll ensure you don't get bummed next time Just an idea.Liamwww.myspace.com/liamkellylive