Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:25 am

Hey Liam:Sorry, I should've posted all that info when I wrote!! Shame on me. Here's the one with straight-across-the-board 10s (and bear in mind, this is the reviewer's POV, so it's his say, not mine):Singer/Songwriter TAXI # S070620SS Youthful-sounding and unique FEMALE SINGER-SONGWRITERS along the lines of KT Tunstall, Fiona Apple, Cat Power, Feist, Regina Spektor, Jem, etc. are sought by President of successful Music Library/Publishing Company with extensive film and TV placements (Kill Bill 2, the Punisher, Las Vegas, the Shield, Bones, One Tree Hill, Van Wilder 2 + many more). He’s not just looking for someone with one great song -- he wants artists with numerous place-able tracks so he can pitch them [songs & as an artist] to various film/TV/commercial projects. Catchy hooks & melodies and smart/clever lyrics are all essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than June 20, 2007. TAXI # S070620SS I submitted three of my favorites:Immortal SchoolgirlGood IntentionsLord's Prayer (Aramaic version)You can find them in the link below but you'll have to scroll down to the middle and the bottom of the page to reach them. Just hit the broadband or low-fi link beneath the titles to hear them.http://www.getnitahope.com/music.html orhttp://www.myspace.com/nitahope (although not all the songs are listed unless you wanna pay for those, like forgeddaboudit! LOL)I've also received 9s and 10s (mostly 10s) for this type of opportunity:FEMALE SINGER-SONGWRITERS along the lines of Jem, KT Tunstall, Patti Smith, Fiona Apple, Beth Orton, Dido, PJ Harvey, etc. wanted by the Director of A&R at a cool and successful Indie label who’s seeking career artists. Unique/distinctive vocals and great writing chops are a must. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than May 15, 2007. TAXI # S070515SS I submitted Much More Than That, Good Intentions and Sisters' Solace.Razor's Edge consistently gets higher ratings on some of these as well.But bear in mind, I've had lots of forwards that were ranked much lower than these......5, 6,7,8, that sort of thing. I can't know what's in the reviewer's mind and the criteria he's using. I just know what gets forwarded and what doesn't. Over time, I've learned to focus on TV/Film and singersongwriter stuff due to my age and the fact that I'm not marketable since I like to change up my genres a lot (short attention span, sorry!).Hope this helps you, Liam. I'm off to check out your site. Hope

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:21 am

P.S. Liam, I really LIKE First Mistake! You've got a U2-kinda feel going on there that's still your own.....jes an influence, not a copy.I like that song a lot.

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:57 am

SquidlipsThanks for the link to your tracks and for your kind words I will certainly check your stuff out soon as I can.Liam

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:25 pm

Quote:Hi,I've been using Taxi for nearly a year. I've had a few 10s, lots of 9s. I'm grateful for all of them. All of those were forwarded. I've had my share of sixes, sevens and eights as well. My fault for taking so long to learn what to send in to what genre. I rarely get straight 10s across the board, although I've had two of those (I'm not telling who they were either, it was a thrill to get them, even though they're not supposed to do that!)Hey SquidlipsI've had a good surf around your website. Great songwriting, man. Not at all what I expected (which shows you how narrow I can be ).I thought (really) that - without exception - the production, vocals and lead vocal delivery were excellent.Lots for me to learn here.Must get to Mississippi sometime All the best to youLiam

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:08 pm

Quote:Quote:Hi,I've been using Taxi for nearly a year. I've had a few 10s, lots of 9s. I'm grateful for all of them. All of those were forwarded. I've had my share of sixes, sevens and eights as well. My fault for taking so long to learn what to send in to what genre. I rarely get straight 10s across the board, although I've had two of those (I'm not telling who they were either, it was a thrill to get them, even though they're not supposed to do that!)Hey SquidlipsI've had a good surf around your website. Great songwriting, man. Not at all what I expected (which shows you how narrow I can be ).I thought (really) that - without exception - the production, vocals and lead vocal delivery were excellent.Lots for me to learn here.Must get to Mississippi sometime All the best to youLiamWell, Liam, you welcome down heah any ol' time, hon. And I like your songwriting a LOT too. And yep, you're not the only one about the assumptions..... if you evah met me, you'd be thinkin' exactly the same thing. I've had session musicians walk right by me in the studio and not make the connection that I'm the lead singer, lol. They always expect someone completely different, since they've heard me sing before. Guess my songwriting now falls into that category too. That's good, keeps 'em guessin'!!