Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re-imagined California Dreamin' listens

Post by Susanstunes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi everyone-
Here is my first mix of 'California Dreamin' Jazz style:
Does it work well or not quite. Like it, don't like it. Mix issues? Vocal issues...?
Any comments - thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/susanhillman/california-dreamin

RE-IMAGINED COVERS of Specific Songs in ANY GENRE with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a super well-connected Publisher for targeted placements in Television, Advertising, and Film!

We’re not giving references for this request, as we think they may be too limiting. Genre-wise, we think you’d be wise to go with popular genres like Singer/Songwriter, Adult Contemporary, Traditional Pop, Jazz, R&B, Indie Folk, Pop, Country, Americana, Rock, Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Soul, etc. You’d be smart to avoid genres that aren’t relatable to a wide audience.

This publisher is eagerly searching for COVERS of the following songs:

"Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles

"I Just Want to Celebrate" by Rare Earth

"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam

"Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys

"All Together Now" by The Beatles

"Let's Stay Together" by Al Green

"You Make My Dreams Come True" by Hall & Oates

"California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & the Papas

"(Theme From) New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra

"Just a Girl" by No Doubt

"Run the World (Girls)" by Beyoncé

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash

NOTE: This Publisher is very interested in finding UNIQUE interpretations of the original songs. Feel free to get creative and think outside the box with this one!

Please submit re-imagined Covers of any of the Songs above. We think both stripped-down performances and more filled-out arrangements could work for this request. Whichever approach you decide to take, your production and arrangements should be polished and high-quality. If you're planning on using virtual instruments to replace organic ones, they need to sound like the real thing and can't be dated or obviously MIDI-driven. Any other virtual instruments and samples you use should be modern and top-quality, as well. Compelling, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

We’re not giving references for this request, as we think they may be too limiting. Genre-wise, we think you’d be wise to go with popular genres like Singer/Songwriter, Adult Contemporary, Traditional Pop, Jazz, R&B, Indie Folk, Pop, Country, Americana, Rock, Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Soul, etc. You’d be smart to avoid genres that aren’t relatable to a wide audience.

NOTE: This Publisher is very interested in finding UNIQUE interpretations of the original songs. Feel free to get creative and think outside the box with this one!

Please submit re-imagined Covers of any of the Songs above. We think both stripped-down performances and more filled-out arrangements could work for this request. Whichever approach you decide to take, your production and arrangements should be polished and high-quality. If you're planning on using virtual instruments to replace organic ones, they need to sound like the real thing and can't be dated or obviously MIDI-driven. Any other virtual instruments and samples you use should be modern and top-quality, as well. Compelling, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

Susan
www.susanhillmanmusic.com
www.instagram.com/susanhillman

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Re-imagined California Dreamin' listens

Post by mwb2 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:33 pm

Susan, sounds beautiful! I would definitely EQ a lot of the low end out of the vocals and bring them down a titch. Some verb and delay too probably. I think you could afford to sing even further behind the beat, jazz-style, given how laid back the instrumentation is too.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Hmmm... well; even if it's not my cup of tea... I think you have a good chance at getting a forward based mostly on this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
FWIW: good luck... it may be zackly what they're looking for. :? :)

(I still like your cactus song... from way back...!)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:34 pm

mwb2 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Susan, sounds beautiful! I would definitely EQ a lot of the low end out of the vocals and bring them down a titch. Some verb and delay too probably. I think you could afford to sing even further behind the beat, jazz-style, given how laid back the instrumentation is too.

Cheers,
Mike
Great insights Mike. Thanks!

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:36 pm

funsongs wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm
Hmmm... well; even if it's not my cup of tea... I think you have a good chance at getting a forward based mostly on this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Peter. Thank you , I think (?). No really. I always wanted to do something where I can act all cool and pretend to smoke a cig while I play, etc.

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:51 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:09 am
Susanstunes wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Hi everyone-
Hi Susan

I agree with Mike - the vocals need more processing, are too dry, and too upfront in the mix IMO. Maybe autotuning in some places? Nice effort and I hope you'll get it over the bar!

Tom
Thanks Tom, and good advice!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:01 pm

Susanstunes wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Hi everyone-
Here is my first mix of 'California Dreamin' Jazz style:
Does it work well or not quite. Like it, don't like it. Mix issues? Vocal issues...?
Any comments - thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/susanhillman/california-dreamin

RE-IMAGINED COVERS of Specific Songs in ANY GENRE with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a super well-connected Publisher for targeted placements in Television, Advertising, and Film!

This publisher is eagerly searching for COVERS of the following songs:

"Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles

"I Just Want to Celebrate" by Rare Earth

"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam

"Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys

"All Together Now" by The Beatles

"Let's Stay Together" by Al Green

"You Make My Dreams Come True" by Hall & Oates

"California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & the Papas

"(Theme From) New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra

"Just a Girl" by No Doubt

"Run the World (Girls)" by Beyoncé

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash

Susan
www.susanhillmanmusic.com
www.instagram.com/susanhillman
Just listened to your CA Dreamin" track on the Taxi forum, and for whatever reason I was moved to send you an idea (and believe me that's ALL it is) that I can imagine you doing in a "Diana Krall" fashion. If it motivates you to do something similar to later submit, great, if not, it was nice saying hello. I'm not able to load an mp3 into this system, so please email me back and I will send you the extremely rough mp3. Again, it's just an idea. JohnDaleNow@att.net Best! John Dale

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:36 am

Hi Great suggestions so far. Keep at it
Last edited by feaker66 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 am

I like the general vibe - First thing I noticed was some of the vocals are pitchy and certain words/notes are unsupported so they sound wobbly

For me the thing it needs most us upping the vocal production - Comping multiple takes to get it more consistent - going through with a fine tooth comb to tweak for timing and pitch - then a better vocal mix as mentioned by the others.

I think if you can nail it and get every part as good as the best parts you'll have a winner

Mark

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:01 am

Susanstunes wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:36 pm
funsongs wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Oh Peter. Thank you , I think (?). No really. I always wanted to do something where I can act all cool and pretend to smoke a cig while I play, etc.
Certainly, meant as a compliment. And reading the other comments, suggestions, and critiques - the consensus seems clearly to be positive:
you've got a winner in-the-making.
+1
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra