Re: Instrumental- Long Walk Home (minus doodling)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

greggo
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Instrumental- Long Walk Home (minus doodling)

Post by greggo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am

Hi. I've been working on this a little bit at a time over the last couple months. It's a mellow tune with acoustic guitar and orchestration. I'd like feedback on the mix, string arrangement and overall composition, if possible. And I'm wondering if there are even listings out there for this sort of thing. It's meant for TV/film, something in the background.

p.s. I threw the lead acoustic guitar melody on there this morning, 'cause I felt it needed something else. Not sure if it fits.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2502690

Thanks in advance :)

Gregg
Last edited by greggo on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Instrumental- Long Walk Home

Post by wings » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Greg,
Nice playing! I like the real guitar. In regard to the mix - my ear doesn't know which way to listen. I hear a lot of "thumping", but I'm not sure which instrument has the melody, and as a result, it sounds a little unrestful, imo. Bring out the individual solo instrument when they carry the melody, so that the listener doesn't have to. I struggle with this as well, which is why I thought I'd write in. :)
Don't throw this one out though - it's something that could totally be shined into a gem!

Hth's
~wings~

robsedge

Post by robsedge » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:22 am

Love the strings Phrase that starts around 2:00!

Im no qualified expert at all,
but the tune and Wing's comment about the melodies made me to think about suggesting this;

dropping the strings completely at say around 1:30
before this phrase at 2:00
could leaving the accoustic to run with its melody alone for a while,
and then when this Strings phrase creeps in at 2:00 , could make this an even bigger emotional ending ??

greggo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by greggo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for listening and the comments Wings and Rob. I was thinking the melody may need to come out front a little more and make the strings softer. Maybe add another instrument on top of the guitar to play the same line. Might try dropping the strings out too for a few measures as suggested and see how it sounds.

Thanks for trying Ott- might have been a glitch or something. There's about four seconds of silence at the beginning. Something else I need to fix. Hoping you'll try again.

G

bfl
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bfl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 am

The strings/violin were a bit too piercing for me, but that is subjective and could be the headphones. Agree about bringing the acoustic out more when it's doing its melodic stuff.

There's a listing by some German spa or something that is looking for relaxing pieces (the guy keeps saying essentially "no loud drums!"), and it was one of the ones I was going to try first with something, and I would suggest you check it out as well. Check out listing #S100421IN

greggo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by greggo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks for pointing me towards that listing, Brad. It says Classical, so that'd be the only thing that would scare me off, but I may give it a shot anyhow. After some remixing. If you go for it, good luck!

G

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi Greg - Pretty tune. I agree about a bit of a lack of focus with this mix, didn't quite know which instrument to pay attention to. i didn't understand the timing of the acoustic guitar melody on the left. I also wasn't crazy about the tubby kick drum sound, kind of a jazz sound kick but I didn't think it fit this song, bit distracting. I think you can polish it up though, post again if you work more on it. Good luck! eo.

greggo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by greggo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 am

Thanks for the feedback eo. Yeah, I kind of just threw that left acoustic melody on there because I had read that instrumentals should have some sort of melody line. But maybe the finger-picking rhythm could be enough? I'll try leaving it off on the next mix. I kind of liked the jazzy feel of the drums with the brushes. There's upright bass in there too somewhere. I can maybe try to "tame" the kick drum. It was sort of sticking out to me as well. Thanks again, I'll try posting another mix next weekend.

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by japaneseprincess » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 pm

hey Greggo.

i agree with Ethan.. this piece needs to be arranged better, to get listeners stay focused and engaged to your music more.

recently ive done 3 acoustic tracks (did 4 but the last one didnt get much time to be finished), my 8-) excellent 8-) co-writer Matt Hirt arranged them with other instruments very well. you might want to refer to these tracks to get some idea how to arrange pieces with acoustic gtr and other instruments (though my playing style is very different from yours).

i will send you a link later if you want...