Re: Intermusic Library

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:15 am

hi mattfig,first, I can understand your worries about songs being locked.but:* taxi doesn't allow to post names of companies on the board, so please edit your message* did you sign your publishing rights away in perpetuity? then you have a problem - if the library doesn't give them back to you voluntary (or if you pay them to return your rights), then there isn't much you could do - except you have a clause in the contract, e.g. a reversion clause, a buyout clause (you buy it back) etc.that's why reading contracts exactly and go to an attorney are valid investements of time & energy.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:34 am

Hey mattfig, I guess there are a lot of ways we can make "bad deals" & probably a lot of them could be avoided if we weren't sometimes so anxious to sign a contract. That said, as far as I'm concerned there are no excuses for a company not getting back to you. I mean really, how much effort is it for someone to shoot you an email and stay in contact? Also, I can appreciate the TAXI policy concerning company names when it may present a conflict of interest as far as competition goes but I also think it's important to be able to know of companies who may not be legit or who may be otherwise taking advantage of a fellow writer/musician. Thanks for the info concerning this company & if it's resolved (or not!) please keep us informed -billg-

mattfig

Music Library X

Post by mattfig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:46 am

Sorry to post the name...Looking further through the boards I don't see many company names listed...My mistake...Although it would only seem fair if praises about a company can be posted, complaints should be welcome as well...In hindsight I can see that I jumped too quickly at the contract and that was no one's choice but my own...But, I also thought that TAXI screens the companies they work with regularly so that there aren't shady deals such as this...I mean, 5 bucks a song + yearly membership fees...That's supposed to go toward proper networking that I couldn't get on my own...This company acquired two of my songs and has done nothing with them...I've had other companies express interest in using these songs but they're locked up and will probably see little or no usage...I didn't have a problem signing originally because I was told by Music Library X that they had people lined up to use the songs...Now they just sit and collect dust...Never used and no return contact from them...If that's the kind of organization I'm paying to submit to, something is wrong...I didn't want anyone else to make the same mistake I made...Was I wrong to assume that TAXI works with companies that are respectable in, at the very least, their business practices? I know my signing the contract was my own fault- but being connected to a company that won't even return a few simple contacts shouldn't be what TAXI wants either...That is the mark of a shady business...I've been a loyal TAXI member for many years and this is my first complaint....Overall the connections have been good...It just makes me uncomfortable that TAXI would allow more members to get tangled up with this company...I just wonder how often TAXI screens their clients from the other side of the coin...We all get rejected when the fit isn't good musically...TAXI should reject companies that aren't a good fit business-wise...Sorry to whine about this...I (not TAXI) signed a bad contract and now I'm just a little bitter...I think that TAXI should reconsider their wording in listings that make every company sound like a professional outfit...

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Music Library

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:04 am

Quote:Hi guys,I read an earlier post regarding a certain music library and just wanted to add something...They grabbed up 2 of my songs over a year ago...They sent contracts quickly and were great with communication...I was pretty excited...Fast forward to now...I can't get any contact with them...They control publishing for these two songs and while others have expressed interest in using them, they are hostages...Be wary of them and their contract...They've done nothing for me but keep my songs from everyone else...If Laura or anyone else reads this...I'm sorry to say negative things about your company but I'm posting here because I can't get a return email from you! Every publisher I've worked with since has been better at communication and action...Stay clear unless you want one of your tunes to become a dinosaur with no hope of getting out from the smothering blanket of IML!If I'm wrong, please, someone correct me...I hear you and I kinda have an opinion on both sides. First, I agree, the company should at least acknowledge your existance. It is also my understanding (watch the Matt Hirt videos on YouTube) that success with music libraries can take a considerable length of time. So a year really is not a long time in this business. But the real question is, did you sign a deal without a revision clause? Most deals have a 2 or 3 year revision clause, so it seems to me you wait it out and get your pieces back. In the meantime, for those people who would be interested in using the pieces this library holds - produce something similar and pitch it to them!! Don't let those opps slip away while hanging on to your angst about 2 pieces of music. Sure, they are great. But I'm also sure you can write & produce something equally good or even better for those opps.And lastly, I'm sure that Michael L would not be happy to find any client of Taxi's scamming songwriters, but OTOH it's not Taxi's responsibility to screen its clients. They are totally unaware of the deals being offered or signed, and as you said, you signed the deal. IMO it's up to every songwriter to do the homework of researching the co who offers the deal and get legal advice if need be before signing. In this case though, you could perhaps call Taxi and politely explain the situation and just ask if they have updated contact information for this co.Just my 2 cents Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

mattfig

Post by mattfig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:13 am

Thank you guys for responding and I'm regaining a bit of perspective...No one forced me to sign anything and everything that transpires from the forward on is on me...Not Taxi...My chief worry was that if this company can't return my emails, how well do they stay in contact with clients? That's where I assumed too much about how well TAXI knows their contacts...One fix may be to avoid saying things like "publishing company run by industry professionals" if they really don't know that for certain...That just seems like bait for 5 bucks...In the end, it was my choice and it's been a learning experience to say the least...I guess it often takes signing a deal like this before an artist really knows what's involved...Thanks again guys...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:37 am

HiThere are a lot of rude people in this business who don't return emails or phone calls. I don't mind when I've made a submission and it's a matter of no news is bad news (e.g. they don't want to risk an argument or any hassles). But it never ceases to amaze me when people you are already doing business with act that way. I have that problem with folks from some indie films I placed in. I've had some simple and very much non-threatening questions and can't get a reply. And an A&R rep who liked some songs I presented and said he would call me "next week" is doing the same thing. That all being said, the best way to handle this now is not to post their name up here (I know you know that now)... Although, TAXI is not really responsible for what happens post-forward, they do care. I would call them about your problem. Maybe Michael can get in touch since they have a business relationship.BTW, this is assuming that your emails to them were polite and professional... I have no reason to think otherwise.Good luck! Casey

mattfig

Post by mattfig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:49 am

Thanks Casey....You make good points...My emails to them have been polite and simply information seeking questions...I've been searching the net and don't see much about this particular company so perhaps they are in the process of restructuring or something...I try to be optimistic and realistic at the same time...Obviously I don't do so well at that This situation is a first and hopefully last...however, I think that if TAXI uses a company's name in success stories, that it should be fair game for complaints...But that is merely my opinion...I don't want anyone else to see only the green lights while the reds are covered up...It sends the wrong message...But, in the end, this is the music biz and I'd be a moron to think that everything is as it seems...Sometimes I just let my enthusiasm take over rather than thinking with a level-head...

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:06 am

Hey Matt,a few things to consider:1-the fact that a music library hasn't made you any money from songs that were signed over a year ago does not make them a shady outfit. In fact it would be very uncommon to make money from a library song within 1 1/2 years from signing the deal. It often takes 2-3 years, in one recent case it took a company almost 5 years to get me a placement for a particular song...in this case it was a major network feature placement so it was well worth the wait.To echo one of Vikki's suggestions, I could've sat around wringing my hands for 5 years, but instead I wrote a couple hundred more songs in that time... So...you may think the songs are just "sitting there collecting dust", but in fact it's quite possible that they are being pitched actively and on dozens of music supervisors' desks.2-Yes the company in question should return your emails...unless of course you email them once a month saying..."so what's going on with my songs? What have you done with my songs? Why haven't you placed my DAMN SONGS??!!" On the other hand, if your emails have been few and far between and polite and professional, I would call Taxi to ask if they have any updated information about the company.3-Taxi screens all the companies before they allow them to place listings. One of the principals of this company is a well respected veteran of the film and tv music fields; this was a new company he was launching at the time, so it's quite possible it has taken them a little longer to get set up than anticipated. This is always a risk you run when signing with a brand new company. And if I remember correctly the listings mentioned that it was a new company.4-The music library business is a business for patient, persistent and prolific writers. You're not going to make a living from 2 songs. You'll need at least 200 in my experience. And if you had 200 songs, then even if these 2 were just sitting there collecting dust wouldn't be such a big deal. And the thing is, even if these songs are actively being pitched, there's still no guarantee that they will get used. I have songs with libraries that haven't been used...some will probably never be used. That's just part of the business and something you need to come to terms with. It doesn't mean that those companies are "shady" and not doing everything in their power to place the songs...That's part of the reason you want a lot of songs, so you can build yourself a reliable longterm income that doesn't depend on just one or two or ten songs.matto

mattfig

Post by mattfig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:36 am

Hey Matto...Thanks for responding...For the record, I don't send emails monthly asking for progress and the few that I've sent have been respectful and polite...I find the company to be shady because they were easy to deal with prior to the contract being signed...And MIA since...Perhaps they are so busy pitching my tunes that they just can't find time to reply to email...I also have more than a few songs and am always writing, recording, and pitching more...But I never abandon them because I'm writing others...I know that isn't exactly what you are saying...I understand that the more lines I throw into the water, the better chance I'll get a bite...I just want to reel in the bites! I guess songs are like kids in more ways than one...There comes a point where you must just "let them go" and become what they are destined to become...Anyway, I respect everyone's opinion's here and sincerely appreciate the guidance...This is a done deal I have to accept...It won't impede my drive to be successful in the least...Thank you for taking time to respond to this thread and please pardon my frustration...Your comments have put me more at ease!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:46 am

Thanks for posting that info Matt. I wasn't aware that Taxi screened clients, but it seems logical to me that they would do so, as any real difficulties between forwarded & signed songwriters & listing clients would affect its rep. It seems to me that any music library is likely only going to contact a songwriter if they make a deal for the piece, or if they want changes, or if they are looking for some other kind of music they feel the songwriter could provide. Otherwise your royalty statements will tell you what's happening - and even if they place one of those songs in the past year, it could take awhile for that to show up in income.I do agree that, if the emails have been polite, and there haven't been too many, that at least they should at least be acknowledged. And I agree that you should check with Taxi and see if the contact info for the co has changed.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website