Re: listing #S221126UM Quirky, light, humour instrumental cues. Am I on the right track?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: listing #S221126UM Quirky, light, humour instrumental cues. Am I on the right track?

Post by MJLeeman » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:52 am

Here is a piece which I am working on:

https://www.taxi.com/members/nwRU7pygQr ... ny-moments

I would be grateful to receive any and all suggestions as to how I can start to transform this into something which might be acceptable to Taxi's client for the below listing.

Michael

QUIRKY, LIGHT HUMOR INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for placements in Promotions, Advertising, and other TV Programming.

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following references the Library gave directly to us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/821i2ivhiqw4 ... pn3Ja?dl=0

Please send well-composed Instrumental Cues with a quirky and lightly humorous sound and feel that could work well for a variety of sync placements. Your submissions should have engaging motifs, solid arrangements, and top-notch instrumentation in the general wheelhouse of the references – think piano, bass, strings, percussion, etc. Crafting your Cues around ONE CENTRAL MOTIF is required; and please be sure to layer your instrumentation in and out as your Cue progresses to create a sense of forward motion and dynamics. Your production should be polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be high-quality and not dated-sounding – nothing stiff or obviously MIDI-driven will work!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE LIBRARY: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. Go ahead and submit to this opportunity if that's you! Also, if you're an experienced producer that can deliver the goods in this genre, they're especially interested in hearing what you can do!

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Saturday, November 26th, 2022. TAXI # S221126UM

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:48 am

MJLeeman wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:52 am
ONE CENTRAL MOTIF is required;...
IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE LIBRARY: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures.
" Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!
The listing is there to tell you exactly what they want. It stresses the requirement for simplicity and one central motif, yet your track is A B A, and I think its too busy in places. Also, check the waveform - the B section is way above the rest (and has a couple of harmonic clashes). My suggestion would be to follow the brief to the letter by omitting the B section and substituting a carefully chosen layer from the other A sections that works as a musical variation of the same theme. You might also raise the overall level.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:40 pm

This is not a fit for the listing. They are looking for "light and quirky", I would consider your track to be serious. It's in a minor key, which is not necessarily quirky. In my opinion, quirky has more chromaticism in it, it sounds funny, like a Tom & Jerry cartoon. I agree with Telefunkin's comments as well. Your track is too quiet, do what you can to bring the levels up to match those of the B section.

I listened to the references, all five of them generate a feeling of quirkiness. I get more of a bar mitzva feel from yours. The patches sound dated, too MIDI (not real), and the double time piano undercurrent is too busy, in my opinion. I suggest you half-time the piano and go with single woodwind instruments at a time for the melody. Adding mallets occasionally for the melody and perhaps some counterpoint could also help.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic