Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: RealiWhistle?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:56 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:16 pm
Whistling the part yourself and then Melodyne the crap out of it might be worth trying
I don't think it's tuning that's the issue, it's getting a clear tone..mine just sounded like humming and a lot of air when I recorded it.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:53 am

SubRivers wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:16 pm
Whistling the part yourself and then Melodyne the crap out of it might be worth trying
Yes -- I tried whistling it myself but was so off that I abandoned the idea!

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 am

Update: Used RealiWhistle on this track and was pretty satisfied with the result: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... y-go-lucky

What do you guys think, is it too prominent or fake-sounding?

Thanks again,
Doug

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:39 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:55 am
Update: Used RealiWhistle on this track and was pretty satisfied with the result: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... y-go-lucky

Thanks again,
Doug
Nice work!
I'll suggest using more of the ramps/falls during the melody. Specifically, if the melody goes up to a high note, ramp to that note (portamento). The bigger the leap to the note, or the higher the note, the longer (bigger?) the ramp. Add a little motion to every longer note, as those notes will stick out more in the listener's experience. Overall, I think Realiwhistle may turn out to be a usable tool ;)

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:12 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:39 am
DouglasKnight wrote:

Thanks again,
Doug
Nice work!
I'll suggest using more of the ramps/falls during the melody. Specifically, if the melody goes up to a high note, ramp to that note (portamento). The bigger the leap to the note, or the higher the note, the longer (bigger?) the ramp. Add a little motion to every longer note, as those notes will stick out more in the listener's experience. Overall, I think Realiwhistle may turn out to be a usable tool ;)
Thanks Alan! Yes, completely agree about adding portamento -- I need to work with the instrument some more to fine tune the performance before submitting. I agree, I think it's definitely useful and worth the $30! Thanks again....

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:31 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Sounds a little on the fake side but it's passable for me. As you're doubling it with another part it isn't massively noticable that it's not real but you can coax a more realistic sound ot of it using some of the vibrato , and maybe use a different reverb on it.

Also whistling the part yourself ( however badly ) along with it will inform you where little pauses to take a breath would naturally go.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:16 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:31 pm
DouglasKnight wrote:
Sounds a little on the fake side but it's passable for me. As you're doubling it with another part it isn't massively noticable that it's not real but you can coax a more realistic sound ot of it using some of the vibrato , and maybe use a different reverb on it.

Also whistling the part yourself ( however badly ) along with it will inform you where little pauses to take a breath would naturally go.
Brilliant advice -- will definitely work on it some more. Thanks a lot!