Really getting beat up by the recording process...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Really getting beat up by the recording process...

Post by debmccall » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi out there...This is the beginning of my 3rd year and I still can't get with the recording process....Does anyone out there have any experience with CUBASE 7.5?

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Really getting beat up by the recording process...

Post by cassmcentee » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:33 pm

I do Deb, what's cookin'???
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:47 am

It sounds like you have a workflow problem. Are you sure it's software-related?
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

CBOHN
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CBOHN » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:56 am

Are you getting a lot returns because of recording quality? There are some great books out there detailing simple recording and mixing workflows.

jnmorrison
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jnmorrison » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:15 pm

i find that sometimes looking at things from a new angle really helps!

Perhaps try recording with a different program for a while? It may give you new insight into the one you're using now.
Or could even prove superior!

debmccall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by debmccall » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions and samples. I will set time aside to view all of these in the next 2 weeks. Workflow combined with techno terror is definitely in the mix with me. I keep using Sequel 3 ( Steinberg product) because it's a bit easier, but does not have the finer mixing that Cubase 7.5 has. However, when I try to open a new project in Cubase, I am having trouble getting the mic inputs to record stereo...The Presonus audio box 44vsl is supposed to be set the same as Sequel 3...and it is..but I can't seem to record that way.

I have been able to transport the wav files to Cubase and go from there, but it would be nice to begin in Cubase and get a better product to mix at the git go. :)

Any thoughts?
Thank you!!!

HenriettaAtkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by HenriettaAtkin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Deb,

It took me a whole year to really learn Logic X, and I hired a teacher who had been an Apple techie, but quit to go into producing for bands in Chicago. He does this full-time, and is brilliant.

He answers every question I have -- and I have new ones every week depending what I'm working on.

Anyway, after a year of classes, I joined TAXI in November and got my first forward this January. And I mixed and mastered that forward without his help!

He charges $220 for a block of 4 weeks, two hours a week.

Is that a lot of money? Not to me. I think the investment in myself was worth it. I believe it has saved me YEARS of hassle, and I can focus on what I love to do -- write music.

Could you find someone like that for CUBASE? Or even learn a new program like some of the guys suggested?

Just a thought.

Henrietta

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:32 pm

However, when I try to open a new project in Cubase, I am having trouble getting the mic inputs to record stereo.
Just curious what you're recording in stereo. It's extremely rare for me to need to record anything in stereo when I'm working on my own stuff just overdubbing by myself. If you're recording live drums or piano or a full band I can see the need for stereo tracks. The only things I need stereo tracks for are some virtual instruments.
Hope that helps!

eo

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:12 pm

The Steinberg Studio Sessions helped me out a lot: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23xW9 ... LABJ9uIZww
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Go to the "device" menu tab> select VST Audio System>select "asio driver">select the Presonus from a drop down list. If not there, download the driver from the Presonus website for your product.

then go to the same "device" menu tab>select VST connections

Select "In" menu tab select your device and L and R menu, same thing with "out" tab.
You will select the name of your device. It uses the name of the asio driver you selected in step one.
when I try to open a new project in Cubase, I am having trouble getting the mic inputs to record stereo...The Presonus audio box 44vsl is supposed to be set the same as Sequel 3...and it is..but I can't seem to record that way.
1) Audio track must be stereo and not mono.
2) If you are only using one mic, it will be mono. It's possible (L&R channel monitoring the same source [mixer]) to get what looks like a stereo signal but is really "dual mono".
3) "Recording stereo"- Stereo implies a "Mixer". If Cubase is to be the main mixer, then you would want even a premixed stereo signal (like from a keyboard or stereo hi-fi?) to be input to Cubase as separate channels, Left and Right, for greater mixing options.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music