Reference Track Suggestions

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Reference Track Suggestions

Post by guest4254 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:25 pm

I'm back in the studio and was hoping someone might be able to suggest a reference track(s) or artist that might sound like this tune.
Still has some editing and then mixing to be done on it, but I can never find a proper reference track.

Thanks,

Harry

https://www.taxi.com/members/ex2VQWBFTc ... thday-wish

Hopefully this link works

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Reference Track Suggestions

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 pm

My first thought was John Mellencamp.

macomposer
Active
Active

Post by macomposer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm

Harry - are you asking for a reference for the singing style, the music, and/or the mix? Or all of it together? I mean, Billy Joel, Springsteen... just depends on what you're after...

When I'm referencing, I try to narrow it down and find specific song references, if possible.. although always harder to do...

- Mark
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
markanthonychubb.com

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:10 pm

macomposer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm
Harry - are you asking for a reference for the singing style, the music, and/or the mix? Or all of it together? I mean, Billy Joel, Springsteen... just depends on what you're after...

When I'm referencing, I try to narrow it down and find specific song references, if possible.. although always harder to do...

- Mark
Hey Mark,

References for mixing/mastering purposes. Ideally, if a particular song comes to you, I'd love to know, otherwise I'll dig into the artists more recent releases, or a re-mastered release.
Ideally there might be a more recent artist with a similar formula/style, though they are probably few and far between. I can only think of the Foo Fighters, but their sound is more aggressive, and they rarely use any keyboards in their music.
Thanks for your suggestions.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 pm

Brian Setzer came to mind when I was listening to it, but as others have said there are many artists who break out into a fun rockabilly-inflected tune on occasion.

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 pm
Brian Setzer came to mind when I was listening to it, but as others have said there are many artists who break out into a fun rockabilly-inflected tune on occasion.
Wow, rockabilly never even entered my mind, but I suppose with what the drums are doing, I get you.

Actually listened to an album released last year by Uriah Heep. I have some albums by them from back in the 70's, and heard their name mentioned regarding a tour. Anyway, I was impressed by some of the songs I heard. Bunch of old guys still know how to write and record some good music. There were a couple of tunes that might work with some of the other songs I'll need references for, and maybe a song for my Birthday Wish tune.

Other suggestions are still quite welcome, and thanks for the replies!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

Once you get any suggestion, you can Google "similar artists [name]". A number of sites come up with ideas. I also like this site: www.music-map.com.

:) Casey

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:35 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am
Once you get any suggestion, you can Google "similar artists [name]". A number of sites come up with ideas. I also like this site: www.music-map.com.

:) Casey
Thanks Casey, I will check that out.